chicken egg eater

Welcome to BYC!
Are they intentionally breaking the eggs to eat them, or are they only eating eggs that accidentally get broken?
It's hard to break an egg eater once they get into the habit. The only way I've ever been able to do it was using fake eggs and patience. Nothing else ever worked. :hmm

Are they intentionally breaking the eggs to eat them, or are they only eating eggs that accidentally get broken?
That^^^ is a good question.

We need more info about the situation @chick farm 12
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

Oh and...Welcome to BYC! @chick farm 12
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582117129746.png

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

To me an egg eater is one that purposely opens eggs to eat them. I've had one of those. But many chickens will eat an egg that is already opened. That's not an egg eater, that's just a chicken taking advantage of an opportunity. I've had a lot that would do that. No big deal. Which do you have?

When I figured out which was opening eggs I ate her before she taught others to open eggs. I did not try to break her. Some people say they have succeeded in that but it wasn't worth the effort for me. One option might be to look at roll-away nests. Those nests take the eggs where they chickens cannot get at them to break and eat them.

Back
Top Bottom