Chicken egg Laying question

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So my chickens are 16 weeks and two days right now and was wondering when I should take the cardboard that is blocking the nest boxes off. I’ve been told at 17 weeks you should but when I open them should I put fake eggs right in there or no? What should I do I have two breeds of chickens that should be laying around the 18 week mark and one that will be a few weeks later.

Golf balls would be fine...color doesn't matter.
Yes, open them now, to make sure they won't start sleeping in the nests before laying commences.
Ok I’ll take the card board off the next boxes tonight then and put like a couple golf balls in each box. Few weeks with them open before laying wouldn’t make them start sleeping in them?

Ok I’ll take the card board off the next boxes tonight then and put like a couple golf balls in each box.
You only need 1-2 in each nest.

Few weeks with them open before laying wouldn’t make them start sleeping in them?
If they are going to sleep in them it's likely to happen as soon as the nests are open.
As long as you have plenty of roost space, and roosts are higher than nests, they probably won't sleep in nests.
The few weeks will give you time to 'retrain' them to sleep on roosts.

So my chickens are 16 weeks and two days right now and was wondering when I should take the cardboard that is blocking the nest boxes off. I’ve been told at 17 weeks you should but when I open them should I put fake eggs right in there or no? What should I do I have two breeds of chickens that should be laying around the 18 week mark and one that will be a few weeks later.
I never blocked them because other wise I heard they will lay eggs in bushes.....so I would undo them now so that they can experience it. And think that it's a good place to lay that's my thought and I didnt put fake eggs in they just figured it out. I have never had a problem. No need for a fake egg.

You only need 1-2 in each nest.

If they are going to sleep in them it's likely to happen as soon as the nests are open.
As long as you have plenty of roost space, and roosts are higher than nests, they probably won't sleep in nests.
The few weeks will give you time to 'retrain' them to sleep on roosts.
OK thanks I was confused on that part

Back
Top Bottom