1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken egg sizes and colors.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elaines03, Jul 26, 2014.

1. elaines03

elaines03 Chirping

Mar 29, 2014
    I have Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps and Easter Egger chickens and they are just staying to lay. I've gotten Green eggs so I'm guessing those are from my Easter Eggs. The first few were very small then I got one about the size of a medium store bought egg. Then I got a few small beige and one brown egg. Not sure which breed laid those. All are pretty small. Will they get bigger as they lay more?
    Also they seem to lay in the late afternoon or early evening is that normal?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pullet eggs are always tiny. They'll get bigger.
    Chickens lay eggs at all times of the daylight. Eventually, the majority will come before noon.
    The lighter ones may be the Rock eggs. IMO the RIRs will be the darkest, then the Australorps, then the Rocks.

3. elaines03

elaines03 Chirping

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks, the medium size egg I got had two yolks. How common is that?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty common....egg factory not quite tuned up yet and released two ova that were encapsulated in one shell.

5. elaines03

elaines03 Chirping

Mar 29, 2014
    I am so sad and confused. I went out at 6 to check and see if we had any eggs, found one. All my girls (10) looked fine and I was petting all of them. 3 hours later I go out to give them a treat and one is dead inside the coop. I keep them in a chicken run so no dog, raccoon or critter could have gotten to her. She looked very healthy too. What could have happened?

6. mortie

mortie Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Is it hot there?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, that's too bad! Condolences.

Why did it die?
    Hard to tell without a lot more info.
    Were there any wounds on it......or any other abnormalities like a swollen abdomen?
    Chickens can have heart attacks, if something tried to get into the run it could have been scared, literally, to death.

8. elaines03

elaines03 Chirping

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes in the 90's

9. elaines03

elaines03 Chirping

Mar 29, 2014
    No wounds that we could tell of and no swollen abdomen. We haven't seen any snakes on our property either. And our property is fenced in. So if something tried to get in the run not sure what it would have been. I'm leaning towards "egg bound". She was one of my Easter Eggs (we have three) and yesterday we did not get any green eggs. Day before we got two green eggs. I saw her in the nesting box earlier in the day so thought she was trying to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: