Chicken Egg weights.Whats yours max?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GhettoRoo, Nov 23, 2014.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello.. Im interested about your chicken eggs max weight, witch they lay regulary..
    One of my black sex link hen lay ~85gr/3.0 oz, her weight is 2.7 kilos.
    Today weighted one egg 92gr, of a sussex star. Witch is 2.2 kilos in weight. and 7 months old, but I didnt think she will lay so big eggs regulary.. Thats hen about what I wrote there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/938053/hen-try-but-dont-lay-a-egg
    This was a first egg after it..

2. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    So this is 92 gr egg. Today she lays something in normal size, but around 70 gr i guess, doesnt weighted.

P.S, question, if you look carefully, you can see such as spots all over a egg.. What ar they? Is it normal? I think its after staying for some time in a fridge..

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My girls average between 76 and 80 grams per egg, but we did get one whopper at 119 grams! OUCH!

- Krista

4. RumAndCoconuts

RumAndCoconuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Great Exuma, Bahamas
    Wow! Those are massive, what breed/mix laid those?

5. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Mine are all from Rhode Island Reds. They are fantastic layers and usually give me 6 eggs per week each.

My Buff Orpingtons are less impressive, their eggs come in around 53 grams each! Lucky for them they are very fluffy and beautiful, lol.

- Krista

6. RumAndCoconuts

RumAndCoconuts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Great Exuma, Bahamas
    I never knew RIR had that potential! Impressive. I've got some Bielefelder that will be laying age in the spring and I'm hoping for some record eggs there.

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Yeah, they are egg-laying machines! And they do the business too - in the nest, twenty minute sit, lay the egg, get out of the nest! Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!

All that rubbish you hear about them not going broody though? A bunch of baloney! I had three of my RIR girls go broody on me and hatch out chicks within weeks of each other! They were good Momma's too, despite what you read in all the books.

They were a bit flighty when I first got them. Not mean or pecky or anything, but not wanting a pat either. They left me alone and I left them alone.

Since hatching their chicks though, they are big bundles of love! I can give them a pat when they're in their nests laying now, and they don't mind being carried around for a bit either! They run away when they first see me trying to catch them, but once I've got hold of them they are big sooks! I really love them.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by