Chicken Emergency Kit / First Aid Kit

Brizi

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
Alabama
I've decided to make a chicken emergency kit / first aid kit. I've got stuff for wounds, basic illnesses, bumblefoot, and coccidiosis. Please tell me if I'm missing anything important!

- FlockLeader Recover 911
- Neosporin
- Bandage Wrap
- Butterfly Bandages
- VetRX
- Vetericyn Spray
- Wonder Dust
- Corid
- Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes
- Epsom Salts
- Tweezers

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 166
I've only had chickens for four weeks, but I'm wondering if there would be any need for Hydrogen Peroxide. Also, is Triple Antibiotic Ointment the same thing as Neosporin? I want to make a first-aid kit as well, and I want to make sure I have what I need. What about antibiotics? I suspect those have to be prescribed by a vet and can't be just bought over the counter.

Sorry if these are foolish questions. At this point, I just don't know what I don't know.

Thanks! Have a super weekend!!

I've only had chickens for four weeks, but I'm wondering if there would be any need for Hydrogen Peroxide. Also, is Triple Antibiotic Ointment the same thing as Neosporin? I want to make a first-aid kit as well, and I want to make sure I have what I need. What about antibiotics? I suspect those have to be prescribed by a vet and can't be just bought over the counter.

Sorry if these are foolish questions. At this point, I just don't know what I don't know.

Not foolish questions, we’ve all been there 🙂 I believe neosporin is triple antibiotic ointment. Make sure you get the kind without any pain relief stuff in it.

I think this month there was something passed to make antibiotics unavailable over the counter anymore. Not sure if that applies to things such as aquamox or not.

The one thing I’ve gotten the most use out of in my chicken first aid kit is my Calcium citrate plus D3, I think it’s worth having on hand for egg binding.

Triple antibiotic ointment is Neosporin.
Peroxide could be used for initial wound cleaning, but Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) would be better.

Antibiotic rules have changed, so yes, most have to come through a vet now. There can sometimes be work arounds or alternatives. If you felt you absolutely needed to have an antibiotic on hand, then a broad spectrum like Amoxicillin would be a good choice.

One thing I do keep on hand is Corid (Amprolium), it's used to treat Coccidiosis in younger birds (chicks). It comes in powder or liquid - you can find it in the cattle section of TSC.

Thank you for all the great information! That would lead me to the next question. Do you buy a "kit" with all of those things, or do you just buy them all individually and make your own kit?
I just made my own. Some stuff in an already made first aid kit could be useful I suppose.

Thank you for all the great information! That would lead me to the next question. Do you buy a "kit" with all of those things, or do you just buy them all individually and make your own kit?
No, I don't buy a kit.

I pick up a tube of generic triple antibiotic ointment at the dollar store or Walmart and put it in a small tote.
As you do your weekly shopping, pick up one thing and you'll soon have a decent first aid kit made.

Everyone *should* have first aid supplies for the humans in their household - really they should! So, if you shop online at places like Amazon, you may find some deals of something like 2 tubes of generic triple antibiotic ointment, bulk packs of vet wrap, larger bottles of Hibiclens, etc. I keep quite a bit of vet wrap on hand, my Hubs works construction and it's one of the best things to use when wrapping cuts/abrasions - it stays on well, so I may buy 10 rolls at a time and then I can just pop 1 roll in the chicken first aid tote for whenever I need it.

As time goes by, you'll find what YOU like to use and have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom