1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKEN EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tyler92, Feb 25, 2007.

1. tyler92

tyler92 New Egg

Feb 25, 2007
    I have got to know whats wrong with my chickens! 3 have died and one is having the same symptons as the others. there all different types also.

the main sympton is moving there head and neck wierd and there opening there mouths and such.

what do i do? are they choking? can a normal vet help? i have got to know as soon as possible, one could be dying as i'm typing this. there is only 4 left. do i seperate the one with the symptons from the others?

i need help, the last chicken died in my arms. he was also trying to nock his head against stuff, i think he was trying to kill himself. [​IMG]

HELP

2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    What are you feeding them? Is there any mold they could have ingested? Some types of mold can cause those symptoms. I would really check out the area to see. Is there anything else they could have gotten hold of? Yes seperate the ill one if you have the space. I don't know of anything else. but there seem to be some good experienced people on this board, and I hope they can give you some answers. maybee look through the emergency threads here for something similar. Good luck. I hope everything turns out okay.

P.S. It can never hurt to call your vet. They may have some answers for you.

3. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    There are so many things that could be wrong with the. Poisoning, botulisim, rickets, or other things. You need to have a nercropsy done on one that dies ASAP.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    agree with all the above...you did not say how old...it may be something virulent...or parasitic (cocci? gapeworm???) Only way to know for sure is a necropsy. (((hugs)))

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm sooo sorry about your loss! [​IMG] HUGS.
    Please get a necropsy done and let us know what the results are. You should be able to call a state lab and have one done for free.
    It could be anything, and you need to know what happened to those other birds so you can prevent it next time. Hopefully you won't lose another one, but if you do, keep the bird in the fridge or an ice box and get it to the lab ASAP.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your loss, I had a friend years ago that lost his whole flock to Newcastle Disease he never recovered and still to this day has not raised chickens. Here is an article on Poultry Viral diseases you can check out the symtoms.
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  7. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    sorry about ur chicks! and im especially sorry one died in your arms! thats soooo sad... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by