Chicken emotions/grieving? Change in behaviour after hen passing

WombatChook

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all - been a while since I posted here!

A couple of weeks ago, we lost one of our chickens (Sparkle, also known as the World's Most Expensive Chicken thanks to vet fees!) to (hidden for potential health trigger ) aggressive ovarian cancer. She'd been unwell for a little while, but while we did everything we could, it wasn't enough. We had kept her isolated at home before and after her week at the vet, firstly to isolate in case of disease, then for recovery and medication. She was NOT with the flock when she passed, and

Since then, one of her flockmates has been out of sorts. The flock dynamics have changed (obviously) and while two have paired off happily, the third chook, Pippi, spends more time by herself, away from the others. She's not laying that I can tell (its moulting season), but aside from that she seems fine physically - not losing weight, comb still full and red, etc. She just seems "flat".

The other two (Rocky and Steggles) are still laying, and working out the pecking order between themselves. They've also taken to roosting in the other end of the coop at night, so Pippi ends up alone.

I haven't seen Pippi get picked on, but that's possible, I guess. Any other clues why she might be out of sorts?

Chickens do have "friends" in a flock, usually birds that were raised together, are the same breed, or are close in the pecking order. I have one hen who tends to do things by herself. She is the oldest in my flock and all of her flockmates who were the same age and raised with her have since died.

I'd still keep a close eye on Pippi. Keep checking the usual things like if her crop is emptying in the morning, if she is able to eat and drink, and if she is being picked on, etc. She could just be the lowest in the pecking order.

Was Pippi friendly towards Sparkle? Chickens can develop friendships with others even though the pecking order is a bit harsh on bullying behaviors. I had three chickens who were the sweetest, and apparently their similar personalities made them friends. They were/are named Basil (Blue Marans), Sable (Blue Marans), and Hazel (Cream Legbar). They never showed the slightest aggression toward each other and loved human attention as long as they weren't taken away from their friends. Unfortunately, both Sable and Hazel died, and after their deaths, Basil is no longer friendly. She keeps to herself now and doesn't like attention from humans. I feel sorry for her because I know she has to still be grieving for her lost best friends.

Was Pippi friendly towards Sparkle? Chickens can develop friendships with others even though the pecking order is a bit harsh on bullying behaviors. I had three chickens who were the sweetest, and apparently their similar personalities made them friends. They were/are named Basil (Blue Marans), Sable (Blue Marans), and Hazel (Cream Legbar). They never showed the slightest aggression toward each other and loved human attention as long as they weren't taken away from their friends. Unfortunately, both Sable and Hazel died, and after their deaths, Basil is no longer friendly. She keeps to herself now and doesn't like attention from humans. I feel sorry for her because I know she has to still be grieving for her lost best friends.
Hazel is in my profile picture, by the way.

Chickens do grieve and they even have their own funerals of sorts that they perform before a flock member dies. Chickens have an ability to sense when another is going to die soon (for example, if the flock member has a disease or injury), so they will come up to that dying chicken and say their last words to them. I witnessed this when Hazel was dying from her respitory disease. They all went up and talked to her a minute before she passed away.

Thanks for the replies!

The flock started out with Rocky/Sparkle and Pippi/Steggles paired off, but over the last few months (in hindsight, it was probably when Sparkle started to get sick) it switched to Rocky/Steggles - the prolific layers - and Pippi started hanging out with Sparkle more. I wonder if she is just processing and grieving 🤔

But I'll definitely still keep an eye on her physical health, too, and monitor whether her crop is emptying or not/if anything changes.

Thanks for the replies!

The flock started out with Rocky/Sparkle and Pippi/Steggles paired off, but over the last few months (in hindsight, it was probably when Sparkle started to get sick) it switched to Rocky/Steggles - the prolific layers - and Pippi started hanging out with Sparkle more. I wonder if she is just processing and grieving 🤔

But I'll definitely still keep an eye on her physical health, too, and monitor whether her crop is emptying or not/if anything changes.
If Pippi was a friend of Sparkle, then she is most likely grieving for her loss. Grieving chickens can get sick from not wanting to eat or drink or do anything in general. I'm not saying Pippi is going to get sick, but continue to watch out for her like you said.

Back
Top Bottom