Chicken Enema *Long*

cyanne

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Cedar Creek, TX
Not something I ever expected to have to do in my lifetime, but when you have chicken's for pets there is no telling what sort of weird trouble they will get themselves into...

It all started when Bunny, one of my sweet EE girls, was outside free ranging and I noticed something funny when she squatted to poo. Something just didn't look right and it seemed like she strained longer than normal. So I chased her down to take a look and was HORRIFIED to find that her vent was all nasty and infected. It was all crusted over with dried pus and poo and who knows what else and smelled like a dead animal. It was awful.
th.gif

From what I could see, she had either had a prolapse that had gone un-noticed and become infected, or she had diarrhea or something like that which had caused the area to become raw and lead to infection. Either way the result was not pretty and I figured she was probably done for. She was also burning up with fever, poor thing.

I carefully removed as much of the necrotic tissue/scabs as I could and cleaned the area with diluted iodine. Then, I got out the tube of preparation H that I keep around for treating prolapses and went to put some of that on the area around her vent to try to reduce the swelling and some antibiotic ointment around the outside for infection. I was using a gloved finger to get the ointment just inside her vent and I discovered that she was packed chock full of hard fecal matter. It seemed that her injury had been allowing her to poo the liquid stuff out a bit but she wasn't able to pass most of the solids so she was all backed up. She kept straining to poo but nothing much was coming out.

So, I got out one of those ear bulb syringes that you use to clean out babies' noses and used it to squirt soapy water just inside the vent where all the poo was at (feeling like a weirdo the whole time) to see if it would make the poo come out. Sure enough it worked like a charm and out came a ton of nasty poo. I kept repeating until it seemed like pretty much all of what was stuck in there had been flushed out. Poor thing, I can't imagine it felt good to be carrying all that around and not be able to go!

Anyway, after everything was cleaned up and freshly covered in ointment, I gave her a shot of Tylan (only antibiotic I had on hand) and let her go back outside with my fingers crossed. She had been eating and drinking normally and nobody has been hassling her so I figured she was better off out with her friends.
fl.gif

The next two days I rounded her up to clean the wound, give her another shot of antibiotics, and reapply the ointment. The difference was amazing even on the first day. No need to repeat the enema, she is pooing just fine now and her vent looks 100 times better. No more nasty infection, just clean healing tissue. Her fever feels like it was gone today, too, though I will give her a full 5 day course of the Tylan just in case.

I can't believe she is healing this fast when I had pretty much figured her for a gonner. Man, chickens are amazing animals!

I REALLY want to thank you for sharing your story (no, really). I hadn't thought of the ear-bulb thing, It's amazing how well these critters hide their discomfort (to say the least) before we humans detect a problem. They're so programmed to "look healthy" that we can't help them til it's almost too late. GOOD JOB!!

Yeah, I almost missed this one until it was too late. Usually they will show signs when they are not feeling well like staying off by themselves and going off their feed, but she didn't do any of that. She was out free ranging with the rest of the flock just as normal as you please and her butt is so fluffy that you can't see the area around her vent.

It was pure luck that she squatted to poop and I happened to look over right at that moment and see that there was something 'off.'

I'm very glad to see that she seems to be well on the way to a full recovery...she is one of our favorites, one of the earliest batch of chicks that I raised. She has a great personality and we call her our 'space invader' because if you are sitting down outside she will just walk right up onto your lap looking for treats and attention.

Back when we had our old place that happened all the time, but since we have moved to the new 'homestead' it seems like we have a lot less time for sitting with the chickens. Having this incident reminded me that we need to maybe slow down a little and spend more time with them so we can enjoy them more and hopefully spot problems before they get out of hand.

Not something I ever expected to have to do in my lifetime, but when you have chicken's for pets there is no telling what sort of weird trouble they will get themselves into...

It all started when Bunny, one of my sweet EE girls, was outside free ranging and I noticed something funny when she squatted to poo. Something just didn't look right and it seemed like she strained longer than normal. So I chased her down to take a look and was HORRIFIED to find that her vent was all nasty and infected. It was all crusted over with dried pus and poo and who knows what else and smelled like a dead animal. It was awful.
th.gif

From what I could see, she had either had a prolapse that had gone un-noticed and become infected, or she had diarrhea or something like that which had caused the area to become raw and lead to infection. Either way the result was not pretty and I figured she was probably done for. She was also burning up with fever, poor thing.

I carefully removed as much of the necrotic tissue/scabs as I could and cleaned the area with diluted iodine. Then, I got out the tube of preparation H that I keep around for treating prolapses and went to put some of that on the area around her vent to try to reduce the swelling and some antibiotic ointment around the outside for infection. I was using a gloved finger to get the ointment just inside her vent and I discovered that she was packed chock full of hard fecal matter. It seemed that her injury had been allowing her to poo the liquid stuff out a bit but she wasn't able to pass most of the solids so she was all backed up. She kept straining to poo but nothing much was coming out.

So, I got out one of those ear bulb syringes that you use to clean out babies' noses and used it to squirt soapy water just inside the vent where all the poo was at (feeling like a weirdo the whole time) to see if it would make the poo come out. Sure enough it worked like a charm and out came a ton of nasty poo. I kept repeating until it seemed like pretty much all of what was stuck in there had been flushed out. Poor thing, I can't imagine it felt good to be carrying all that around and not be able to go!

Anyway, after everything was cleaned up and freshly covered in ointment, I gave her a shot of Tylan (only antibiotic I had on hand) and let her go back outside with my fingers crossed. She had been eating and drinking normally and nobody has been hassling her so I figured she was better off out with her friends.
fl.gif

The next two days I rounded her up to clean the wound, give her another shot of antibiotics, and reapply the ointment. The difference was amazing even on the first day. No need to repeat the enema, she is pooing just fine now and her vent looks 100 times better. No more nasty infection, just clean healing tissue. Her fever feels like it was gone today, too, though I will give her a full 5 day course of the Tylan just in case.

I can't believe she is healing this fast when I had pretty much figured her for a gonner. Man, chickens are amazing animals!
next time instead of using drugs/chems, just make an enema with charcoal. it will act as pain relief, reduce inflammation and remove infection algng with any toxins. better than antibiotics that no longer work most of the time. keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom