Chicken envy ...how it all starts...;)

bwauck

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Hazel dell, Wa.
Newbie))))) My chicks!!!
My 12 yr old ("> Arnold large breed duck was attacked by a raccoon a month ago. His bill was chomped. I found a vet who sent me home with antibiotics. ( twice a day for 14 days) Many places I read say their bills will not regenerate:/ My guys did! The puncture wounds are completely healed over And the tip although bumpy , has healed Too! I told him if he made it , I'd get him some company. I called the feed store who told me they had one runner duckling but they put two americanas in there with him.Brought them home. Duckling had pasty butt which I tried to fix. He didn't make it and I swear the chicks were just as sad as me about it. I went to another feed store and found a Rhode Island white pullet who was being picked on and brought her home. She was accepted like a big sister and they are adorable! I read somewhere that the Rhode Island white would not be good for a beginner but could not find the reasoning behind that .... Anyone know why ? Long story... Sigh...I know .. I know... Lol ...

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Adorable babies you have there! But I am sorry about your duck. Bills and beaks are like finger nails and continue to grow all throughout the life of the bird. They wear down as the bird scratches and wipes it's beak on things. But I am so glad to hear she pulled through!!

As for RIR's and not being beginner birds, sometimes the hatchery RIR's can be a bit aggressive toward each other. Not always, but when they are aggressive, they can be pretty mean. I have never had any really sweet RIR's. But lots of members here on BYC do. I am glad you are enjoying them!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

I was touched by your introduction. So sorry to hear after all that, that the duck passed away from pasty butt. I hope your chicken story will continue on an upward trend. Maybe you're Rhode Island white is a sweetie, if she had been picked on before, maybe sweetness was the reason.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you decided to join us.

And happy that Arnold is doing better. Sorry about your loss and hope all the other new additions fare well.

Can tell by your intro that you really love them all and are a great poultry mom.

Back
Top Bottom