Chicken experts have at it

luckynorcalchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Here's a picture of our lil babies I have some nieghbors that I guess have more chickens than they can handle cause they're always in my yard well a hen laid 20 eggs next to my shed and I let her keep them the result I'm a chicken farmer and I have 14 chicks! Let me know what I have the momma's in the picture so it should be easy. Oh and am I officially a chicken thief if I keep a "free range hen" that wandered on to my property?
91903_0515111556a.jpg
91903_0512111734.jpg
91903_0512111636.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome to BYC! It's crazy how much time I've 'wasted' sitting in a chair watching them eat sleep and play! Time for bed now. Hope to have some replies when I get home from work tomorrow;)

Last edited:
hummm... chicken thief... ????
Then I guess everyone who has an animal show up is dog thief, cat thief, etc...
I had a kitty (okay.... vet says he is 10yo) show up in my barn last year with a broken leg and hip... vet trip and metal pins later... he is my inside kitty... Am I a cat thief? I hope not
smile.png

Good luck with all the babies... They are absolutely adorable (no clue on breed... sorry)

Would need a better look at the hens comb, side shot of body to better tell what breed the mother is. From the top view of her comb it looks pea. The far shot of her body and head looks like an easter egger. What color were the eggs?

You must be fairly close to your neighbor as one hen wouldn't lay so many eggs to be viable hatching. I mean for 14 to hatch that would be a large clutch of what? 20+ eggs? Meaning if hers would be 20+ day old eggs there. I think others aided her in making the clutch and she went broody. I'm guessing she is not the sole mother.

You should offer your neighbor something for the hen. Say she's been hanging out on your property and you've become attached to her. The chicks wont need anything with her there but I feel the mother is your neighbors. As in if a neighbors dog (you know who's dog it is) started hanging out on your property you'd not fence it in and call it yours. If they want the hen back just supply a light to the chicks for heat until they feather out. Or offer some chicks to them for renting their hen to raise your chicks for 3 weeks then give her and some chicks back...dunno, some ethical solution can be arranged. And who knows? They may not care about their hen having chalked it up to predator loss when in reality she went broody on a hidden clutch.

Edit to add: I'm also thinking if she and her chicks were not penned in now she would proudly trot them back to introduce to her flock. Honestly I'd ask the owners their thoughts and express your attachment, stewardship and see what comes of it.

Last edited:
Guess I should have added... that I did check with the nearest neighbors... noone knew the cat. He cannot go back out because he would sure get mauled by something since he cannot protect himself anymore.

I agree with the above post about asking your neighbor.

Maybe I am a cat theif
he.gif

I would say first congratulations!
ya.gif
And secondly, not a thief, but blessed. What an awesome gift! She quite obviously felt safe and comfortable in your yard. I would agree however, that they are not all her eggs. I too would approach my neighbors and tell them the story. Maybe they will want her back, maybe they won't. She may want to stay at your house forever, or she may go back to show off her new family. If you do want to keep her and her chicks, I would let the neighbor know. Most likely, they will be happy that she is happy and being well taken care of. If you were so inclined, you could offer them compensation for her. You did just unexpectedly recieve a gift that will keep on giving. Enjoy them and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Some here are missing the fact that you said ( "THEY'RE always in my yard" ) as in more than 1 chicken crossing your fence
smile.png

Another thing rule is here in our neighborhood if a dog crosses our fence its our business what happens next, equally if my chickens go to a neighbors and something happen God for bid........then it is the property owners choice what they should do. If it is attacked by a dog on someone else property then I have no right to complain it is my job to secure my fence and make sure my chickens are safe not the neighbors.
If it was my chicken's and they left you something like that then it is up to you to do with them as you see fit.

Definitely more than one breed represented in that clutch of chicks.
smile.png
I would just tell your neighbor their chicken is raising babies in your yard, can you keep them? Maybe offer them $10 for the hen? And put up a fence so mama doesn't rejoin her flock. I think if the chicks were born on your property and you put up a fence to keep them there, they are technically yours. But the hen is still your neighbor's.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom