Chicken eye & comb problem

Katyshu

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and could use some advice. I have a small flock of 5 chickens who are 18 months old. My Ameraucana has been under the weather for about 5 days. One eye is closed and her comb is tipped over and discolored. She's becoming more withdrawn and didn't even come down from her perch all day today. I bathed her eye with a saline solution tonight and was able to see her eye but it won't stay open.. Any thoughts about what might be wrong? I've attached some pictures--her good side and bad side. IMG_1467.jpeg IMG_1469.jpeg

Wyorp Rock

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Do you know if she was attacked or injured somehow?
The crustiness around the eye - does she have any pus in the eye?
I would look inside her ear - it looks swollen.
She also has what appears to be scabbing along the beak and underneath it -check that out too.
Check her over really well, tend to any wounds that you see. Flush out the eye with saline and wipe away pus/debris. Look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
If there's pus inside the ear, then drop 1 drop of peroxide in it and work out the pus.

Once you get her hydrated, see if she will eat for you.
1596889250140.png

Katyshu

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Thank you for so much information. I don't believe she was injured--she's my alpha-hen; the largest and most dominant of the flock--unless she ran into another type of animal while free-ranging. I'll check all these things today. I used a compress of saline solution for eyes last night and was able to open her eye manually--I didn't see any pus but her eye closes immediately. She's eating a little bit. Today I'm going to isolate her with separate food and water. Thankfully it's a little cooler here today--it's been over 90 for a week.

Top Bottom