Chicken falling over

gratzalk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I went to open up the girls this morning and Shrek (one of the chickens) can't stand up and keeps falling over. I've not noticed anything prior to this recently. She did have wry neck a year or more ago, but I nursed her out of it. She's been doing goo and she's actually the one I can count on for laying. Anyway, does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be and/or what remedy can be had? I looked as some stuff RE: Merek's and it doesn't see like that's it. Any help would be great!!

It can possibly be wry neck coming back. Reason I say this is a had a silkie that had recovered from wry neck. I was noticing when she was freeranging she started falling over . She would pull out of it then be alright. Well a few days after her starting to fall over she developed wry neck AGAIN after being clear for months.i would start your bird on the vitamins and regiment again incase this is what's happening to her. I can't be positive but since you mentioned the wry neck its possible that the falling down is a sign its returning. It was in my bird. Either way the vitamins won't hurt her. It can be other issues and like I said I can't be positive however my bird did the very same thing and sure enough her wry neck returned a few days later. It is possible that this could be happening to your bird. Of course if it continues and their is no sign of wry neck it could be other things and mareks would be a concern. Also check her ears and make sure she does not have a problem there. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

I agree with realisis in that it could be wry neck coming back. Either that, or something is wrong with her legs (either due to injury, disease, etc.). An ear infection could be the cause too, as that can make birds dizzy and unable to walk properly. I'd definitely start giving some vitamins, and isolate her from the other birds so she isn't stressed out or further injured. Check her ears for swelling, discoloration, pus, or anything else odd.

If it is an ear infection which it might be, I would start her on some vitamins, which would help her perk up and get her energy back, and a small course of anti-biotics. Of course if it's her wry neck coming back this won't have any effect and you may have to nurse her again as you did before.

Can she just not stand, or are her legs not working right? Is there any swelling around the ears (which could indicate an ear infection-- this could cause dizziness)?

Thank you all for the replies. I did start her on electrolites and antibiotics however, after her 2nd dose, she died a short time later. I don't know what it was but I'm guessing maybe it was the wry neck and it possibly paralyzed her one side(?). I don't really know but I lost her - BUMMER!! Thanks again

Thank you all for the replies. I did start her on electrolites and antibiotics however, after her 2nd dose, she died a short time later. I don't know what it was but I'm guessing maybe it was the wry neck and it possibly paralyzed her one side(?). I don't really know but I lost her - BUMMER!! Thanks again
I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom