1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Feed/Grain Free/Paleo - Can they go W/O 'feed'??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KLynn, Aug 1, 2013.

1. KLynn

KLynn New Egg

Jun 20, 2013
    I have adopted a grain free diet and was wondering just how necessary it is to feed my chickens (and Indian Runner ducks) feed with grain in them?

They are out on pasture all day foraging for bugs and such. We give them lots of treats like watermelon and worms we dig up...

Any advice is welcomed. I want to sell the eggs to paleo/whole 30 friends, but I don't think feeding the chickens and ducks grain based products is what they are looking for. Just letting the chickens forage for their feed-is that enough? Kind of like grass-fed beef? I don't want my birds to go without anything they need either (they are very loved egg producing pets!).

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know nothing about it, but i think you'd need very precise foraging lands to keep domestic ducks with adequate diets to do without any complete feeds and those contain grains.

It would be like taking cats who are carnivores and making them meat free, waterfowl and poultry do naturally eat some grains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by