Chicken Feed Ideas

I usually give crumble, I will try to feed them just layer feed. Thanks for the advice!
Layer just refers to the fact that the feed was formulated for laying hens. It can still come in crumble, mash, pellets, whole grain, etc. I would try pellets.

In an ideal world it is best that 80-90% of their diet (at least the foods we give them) is feed formulated for poultry, meaning that rice, mealworms, scratch grains, corn, and even garden and kitchen scraps, remain a small 10-20% of their diet. Obviously, there are poultry keepers world-wide that don't always have that luxury, but we are quite fortunate in the US to have well-formulated feeds at are finger tips.

your ladies need more protein and an new feed, don't feed game bird feed! Buy layer feed, some oyster shell and maybe a can of cat food. cat food has extra protein and nutrients and pretty cheap.

your ladies need more protein and an new feed, don't feed game bird feed! Buy layer feed, some oyster shell and maybe a can of cat food. cat food has extra protein and nutrients and pretty cheap.
Thanks! I do give layer feed, but for where I live, oyster shells are hard to find. I do give shrimp shells sometimes and they love them. I'll consider getting some cat food when I come across them at the store. :)

You could try putting a small amount of the layer food in a bowl and get it wet with water--many chickens think it's a great treat when it's wet :lol:

If your hens do not like layer feed, you could try chick starter. It is a safe food for chickens of all ages. Just be sure to provide a dish of oyster shell that the hens can eat for calcium (they need more calcium than chicks do).

Chick starter tends to have a bit more protein than layer feed, which might be why some chickens like it better.

You could try putting a small amount of the layer food in a bowl and get it wet with water--many chickens think it's a great treat when it's wet :lol:

If your hens do not like layer feed, you could try chick starter. It is a safe food for chickens of all ages. Just be sure to provide a dish of oyster shell that the hens can eat for calcium (they need more calcium than chicks do).

Chick starter tends to have a bit more protein than layer feed, which might be why some chickens like it better.
I frequently 'treat' my flock with their standard everyday feed simply by soaking it in water before offering it to them. I like to do this in the summertime (like it is here in Panama now) and I notice them panting as they tend to not want to eat, and often seem too lazy to head out into the yard to get a sip of water from the huge tub I have out there under the mango tree. Kind of a double-dipper treat. You'd think it was someone's birthday cake the way they clamor to get some!

Thanks! I do give layer feed, but for where I live, oyster shells are hard to find. I do give shrimp shells sometimes and they love them. I'll consider getting some cat food when I come across them at the store. :)
Sounds like you really need to stop feeding your birds junk food, stop all other things besides your poultry feed layer pellets. They will eat it. They know if they wait long enough your gonna give them treats. Again stop everything but the layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom