Chicken Feed Ratio

DoubleB13

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
Alabama
My great grandpa used to have chickens and taught my grandpa how to take care of them. He says I need to feed my chickens 2 cups of scratch feed for 1 cup of layer feed. What do I need to feed them that or a different ratio

Really? Two cups scratch to one cup feed??

Isn't that like two cups of empty calories to one cup healthy food?

No, no please don't do that scratch feed can be mostly millet or corn . They need more feed and scratch is a treat...

Did grandpa raise layers or meat birds ?

Respect your elders, but that is just not a good idea ( sorry grandpa )

Layer feed is usually about 16% protein, the bare minimum needed to support egg production. Scratch is not a complete feed and should be offered sparingly, not as a main ration.

He is incorrect. Feed contains all of the essential vitamins and minerals needed, in just the right balance. Not feeding them a balanced diet can cause problems like stunted growth, bone or joint deformities, and reduced ability to produce eggs. Protein deficiencies can cause egg eating or feather picking.

It may be that the feeds back in the day may not have been as sophisticated as they are these days.Also grandpa probably also gave his chickens plenty of scraps and no doubt they had plenty of space and bugs in their free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom