Chicken feed

Chrissy6969

Hatching
Aug 5, 2022
So I have heard that tractor supply chicken feed is no good for the hens so I was wondering if anyone new of a place near Coventry RI Greene area where to buy the good chicken feed for my hens this is the one I have been buying from tractor supply I have 11 hens and only 6 of them give me eggs so I get 6 eggs a day thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203-143526_Tractor Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20230203-143526_Tractor Supply.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 344
How old are the birds? What breeds?
Some breeds (most) do not lay every day even in the peak laying season. Yes chickens have laying seasons.

The days are short and if yours are over a year old getting 6 eggs from 11 birds is pretty good this time of year.

As the days get longer the laying will increase.

That's what I have also used. No problems. If the feed wasn't good, there would be a nationwide problem. This is winter, molting season for many. More than 50% ratio of eggs to chickens is fantastic for now, and should improve as the daylight lenghthens. I only got 3 from 14 today, average is 7-8. A couple months ago it was 3 average.

So I have heard that tractor supply chicken feed is no good for the hens so I was wondering if anyone new of a place near Coventry RI Greene area where to buy the good chicken feed for my hens this is the one I have been buying from tractor supply I have 11 hens and only 6 of them give me eggs so I get 6 eggs a day thank you

I'll not comment on the "chicken feed conspiracy theories", but there are a few places that carry feed in the area (I'm in West Greenwich).

TLC on Mishnock Road in West Greenwich just started carrying Poulin grain. A little further afield (by RI standards, anyway) is Allies Tack shop in North Kingston (right across the street from Allie's Donuts).

Good advice above. The feed conspiracy is a social tempest in a teacup, with absolutely NOTHING to support it, and a lot of very good reasons to dismiss it out of hand. When one is looking for intelligent thought, rational decision making, and educated balancing of risks, looking to a mob of the ignorant, the emotional, and the irrational is rarely, if ever, wise.

OTOH, selecting a feed originally designed to support commerical layers at the lowest possible cost, under commercial management conditions, with commercially limited lifespan ("repurposed" at first adult molt, generally before 20 months, into pet food or similar) seems ill suited to the purpose and intended tiemframes of the typical BYCer.

Back
Top Bottom