chicken feed

jbelt

Hatching
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I got my golden buffs about two weeks ago from a large hatchery. they were supposed to be nine weeks old at the time. They were already on layer mash when I bought them. Two of the six are laying eggs already, but I don't see anything from the other four. Should they all be on layer, or would it be better to put them all on something like flock master and provide oyster shells for the ones that are laying? I have read here that too much calcium is not good for young birds that are not laying. I want to switch feed anyway because the stuff I got from the hatchery has pig meat and bone in it. Any suggestions, or should I just wait until I run out before I switch?

Hello!

I think there's a bit of confusion about the age because chickens don't usually start laying until around 20 weeks old, so if you got them 2 weeks ago at age 9 weeks, then something is a bit mixed up. I think you probably purchased "started pullets", and they were appx 16-20 weeks old when you got them.

So they are actually eating the correct food if they're currently getting the layer mash. You can feed them the Flock Raiser if you like, and provide the oyster shell in a separate container so they can take it if they wish.....That is up to you.

Good luck with your hens!

Sharon

thanks for the feedback. I was concerned about the pig products in the feed, but after further reading, the only thing I am really concerned about is where the pigs came from. I wonder if organic feed has animal protein in it, but from animals that were not given hormones and such. Thanks again.

I think most organic feed is vegetarian -- which is a disadvantage in my opinion. Chickens are omnivores, and there are studies that indicate they do better with animal protein in the feed. Often it's fish meal. I can't find feed with animal protein in it locally so I supplement with some animal protein as their treat a few times a week, usually scrambled eggs, or canned mackerel if I don't have meaty leftovers or a carcass or something.

Back
Top Bottom