chicken feed

mkwarner

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
circleville
Hi, my name is Kris. I am new to this group. I'm getting ready to order 3 chicks. Is sugar water OK for the first 3 days or is the vit./elctrolyte formula needed?

Also, we are trying to keep our chickens as natural as possible. Is medicated feed needed? Where can you buy unmedicated feed?

We have three 5 year old chickens and I've always just used TSC feed that I believe is medicated. Never have used grit.

Any advice is welcome.

When you buy chick starter at the feed store, you can ask for unmedicated. I like Purina Start and Grow. Other than that, just make sure they have fresh water available all the time and you should be set.

Also, I have discovered that my chickens prefer pelleted food rather than granulated and seem to waste less of it. I use a Golden Oak 20% protein lay pellet. Try pellets and see if you don't like them better.

Last edited:
Quote:
The electrolyte solution is better if you need it at all. If the chicks are having poo that is a little runny from the stress of shipping, sugar can make it worse. However, I don't believe in using either, if it's not needed. Keep it on hand if needed yes, but clean fresh water is all that's really needed for chicks that are lively and active.
You can ask for non-medicated feed. Purina's Start & Grow comes in both medicated and non-medicated. I would recommend medicated for at least the first six weeks because it protects against coccidia, which can kill a chick quickly from the diarrhea it causes. Never used grit? Then your older chickens must be getting it from someplace. I'm assuming that they have access to the outdoors and are finding their own. It's not necessary while your chicks are eating chick starter exclusively, but if you start supplementing their diet with treats and they don't have access to dirt to find their own grit, then it becomes a big necessity.

Back
Top Bottom