Chicken feed ?

dtl2013

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
Alabama
Hey everybody,

Is there a diffrence between given my layers 22% protein or 18% protein in a bag ? Which is better for my RIR ladies ? Thank you

Hey everybody,

Is there a diffrence between given my layers 22% protein or 18% protein in a bag ? Which is better for my RIR ladies ? Thank you

I've never, ever seen a layer feed with 22% protein, in fact most are as low as 16% or as high as 18%. Make sure they are getting Layer feed; protein unimportant but calcium is essential. Perhaps you are looking at Flock Raiser/All Flock? That's ok for them but you will then need to provide an additional source of calcium such as feeding their egg shells back to them, or buying oyster shell. HTH!

Depends. If you wish to feed some whole grains and/or scratch grains, then buy the higher protein. If 95% of their diet will be the layer feed you provide, then 18% protein will be more than sufficient. I'd also want to read the back of the bag or the tag and see what kind of protein it is. I prefer animal fats and proteins if they are included. FWIW

I'd also compare the bang for buck. In other words, what's the price difference?

Back
Top Bottom