Chicken feeders

Auntsally

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
I’m struggling ! what’s best as the perfect chicken feeder? I’ve bought so many not to find one that’s any good !
just so much mess or open to vermin in the evenings I’ve even tried the treadle feeder, and they were scared off that,
I’m now useing to storage boxes the ones you use to store stuff under your bed !!!
with the clip on lid I go out about 4 in the evenings , before it gets dark and fastern the lid down , so rodents don’t get in , this is the only thing at the moment that does not spill out on floor, as the sides are deep but defeats the odject off haveing to go out at the right time to close it before the night creepy rats come out !
I ’m wanting something ! that , does not spill . And closes at night itself , and opens in the morning itself, abit like the coop door ! And without the chickens haveing to do it , and be scared ! Does this exsist ? There is such a lost market on this !
some one!! you would think!
would off invented the perfect feeder !
mad , that we can get to the moon in space , but can’t invent a feeder that works , does any one have any suggestions or a feeder they made them selfs or pictures off there feeders that work would be so grateful to know , there has to be a gem off a idea out there somewhere I can pinch 😊

My feeder is just a milk carton with a big hole cut in the side. My feed is stored under my porch in a metal trashcan with the lid bungeed on.
IMG-2001.jpg

Here's a top down view. It's on the tray (tray is from when we got a cheese platter from our local cheese shop) because that way the feed doesn't get mixed into the dirt, so they don't waste it.

I’m struggling ! what’s best as the perfect chicken feeder? I’ve bought so many not to find one that’s any good !
just so much mess or open to vermin in the evenings I’ve even tried the treadle feeder, and they were scared off that,
I’m now useing to storage boxes the ones you use to store stuff under your bed !!!
with the clip on lid I go out about 4 in the evenings , before it gets dark and fastern the lid down , so rodents don’t get in , this is the only thing at the moment that does not spill out on floor, as the sides are deep but defeats the odject off haveing to go out at the right time to close it before the night creepy rats come out !
I ’m wanting something ! that , does not spill . And closes at night itself , and opens in the morning itself, abit like the coop door ! And without the chickens haveing to do it , and be scared ! Does this exsist ? There is such a lost market on this !
some one!! you would think!
would off invented the perfect feeder !
mad , that we can get to the moon in space , but can’t invent a feeder that works , does any one have any suggestions or a feeder they made them selfs or pictures off there feeders that work would be so grateful to know , there has to be a gem off a idea out there somewhere I can pinch 😊
Yeah, we all wish for that.
I don't have a rodent problem, my coop is pretty tight,
and I have traps set 24/7/365 as the mice seems to surge during certain times of the year.
So this has worked great for me:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/

Last edited:
I use a pvc tube that goes into a small corner container. When the feed is low or empty, I don't fill it right away, I let the flock clean up the feed on the group but I don't let it stay empty for the entire day.
Do you have a lot of rodents getting into your run or coop?

I have traps set 24/7/265
What part of the year do you not have traps set? Or is this a typo? Initially, I thought maybe you gave them Mondays and Thursdays off, or something. :gig

I have seen mice around at all times of the year. Dang the little blighters! A little one ran into the run last summer. One of the girls made quick work of it. You go, Lark the Mouse Eater!

I use a pvc tube that goes into a small corner container. When the feed is low or empty, I don't fill it right away, I let the flock clean up the feed on the group but I don't let it stay empty for the entire day.
Do you have a lot of rodents getting into your run or coop?
I’ve seen a couple off rats we live in the country fields all around us so it’s difficult to keep control off it I’ve not set traps as I can’t bare to see them alive or dead I’m so scared off them ! I’ve not seen one in the day but seen one just as it gets dusk or in the morning just before the suns comeing up I’m not around there at night so no idea how many come out I put the lids down no the food witch is a plastic tub so they can’t get in it

I use a Ratproof Feeder. I do take it out of the coop each night. The chickens did need some time and a little training, to get use to it and it's noise. But, they did.
Is that the one they stand on and it opens? I had that one my chickens didn’t get used to it I put a brick there to keep it open in the end months off trying with them I took it away I was worried they would starve also they would pull that out all over the floor

Back
Top Bottom