chicken feet affliction

Aitor

Hatching
May 25, 2015
Galway, Ireland

Hi folks

Pictured is one of my rhode island reds with black lumps on the soles of her feet. She seems to be in some discomfort. She is one 1 and a half years old and part of a flock of 42 birds, who are housed in a secure shed and have access to large area of pasture.

Does anyone know what it is?
How to treat it?
Is it contagious?
How to prevent it in others and in future?

Any advice welcone

Aitor

Hatching
May 25, 2015
Galway, Ireland
I have had a look through the threads on the forum and it seems this might be Bumblefoot.

Can anyone confirm?

What is my best course of action?

How can I prevent others from getting it?

Yorkshire Coop

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your hen and her feet. I do agree with you that it does like bumble foot that she has. I'm afraid I've not had this my flock but please do take a look at these links on bumble foot. ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bumblefoot-in-your-flock

Also this may need taking care of as in removing it from her feet. Here is an article about bumble foot surgery ~ http://backyardchickens.com/a/bumblefoot-how-to-treat-your-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics

Wishing you the very best of luck with your hen, I hope you are able to get her well again soon :frow

Book Em Danno25

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your chickens. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Yes, that is bumblefoot. A number of new folks have been finding it in their flock. If you put Bumblefoot treatment in the search box, it will pop up.

Aitor

Hatching
May 25, 2015
Galway, Ireland
Thanks for the replys and welcomes.

I have had a closer look at the flock and have found it in at least 4 other birds, though not as bad as this one.
It makes me think that it is something systemic.
But the perch is not too high, only about 8 inches, and the house is cleaned once a week.

I have sterilised the house with a flame weeder, including the perch.
I have also isolated the worst affected girl, to try and reduce the risk of further spread.

Any other ideas as to why there are so many with this affliction?

A point to note, I originally had 22 girls, who are now 1.5 years old, and added another 20 pullets about a month ago. Pecking order chaos ensued, but did not seem to be too brutal. It was the original older girls that seemed to be most put out by the experience, even though it was them harrassing the new girls.

And all of the afflicted girls are the old girls!

Could it be that the stress of the new additions has weakened their immune system?

Any comment welcome.

Top Bottom