chicken feet

There used to be a restaurant (actually a department store lunch counter) in Nashville TN that used rendered chicken fat to make their pie pastry. Their apple pie with chicken fat pastry was famous, and rightly so! It would be SO incorrect with the food police to do that now.

When I have broth/stock that I don't use right then with whatever bird I've cooked, I chill it in a tall-ish container, like a tall sour cream container, and remove the solid fat after it chills. When using a plastic contain like that, be sure you let the broth cool to room temp before pouring it in. Heat + plastic + food is not a good idea.

I save the fat and use it for cooking. Fried potatoes in chicken fat are incredible. And, yes, it makes wonderful pie crusts, too.

I checked Frugal's post - mmmmm! That golden broth looks good! But does anyone know how to properly can it? His post doesn't say how long to process in the pressure canner. Ideas?

dumplings made with chicken fat are sublime.

When we peel chicken feet, we swish them again in the scald water again. Then, if you pinch the nail, the skin/cuticle/peelings slides off like a sock on each toe. Slide off from the nail - very creepy, but quick.

Back
Top Bottom