Chicken fertility

andiek

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
New Zealand
Hi, i'm new to chickens but have been given 4 girl bantams from a guy up the road. We get about 4 eggs a day. We were also given 2 roosters but gave them to new homes cos they started crowing at 4am and no one else in this valley has roosters and we didn't want to piss our new neighbours off. we are the new neighbours btw.
Anyway, i read that girl chickens have a sack that holds sperm for a certain amount of time, and even though there might not be a rooster around a chicken could still hatch an egg for up to a certain amount of time. Does anyone know how long this is? the roosters have been gone for about 3 weeks i think. One of the chickadee's is sitting on five eggs and won't budge for hours on end, although she did come out for a while today to scratch around with her mates. so i was wondering if we will get a baby chicken or two in a few weeks time???
Plus if a chicken is broody and won't budge, should we take food and water to her?
These chickens are very cool, very easy to put to bed at night and have clicked on to the evening routine quickly even though they didn't have a coop or anything where they were before. didn't think i'd get so much enjoyment from them:)

Hi.
Usually wyou will see a little tiny dark dot when you crack a fertile egg.
and I think if the roosters were gone for a while I would buy some fertiled eggs for my broody,and yes you need to take food andwater for her
Omran

welcome-byc.gif
Andiek.
I have heard that a hen can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks. I personally think this is pushing the time some. How long has your girl been sitting on the eggs? If the eggs were laid a week ago you will probably have better luck with them hatching.
Most hens will get off the nest once or twice a day to eat and drink and poo, a really big poo. I would just keep an eye on her and make sure she is getting off the nest. If you feel she is not, of course you can spoil her with breakfast in bed.

thanks guys. i think she's been on these eggs for just a day or two, in which case they're not likely to hatch. thats o.k i was curious as to what would happen, but i think i might take some food to her. not sure its the right time of year for little chickees anyway being spring, wet and windy.
they drink alot of water don't they. and hard case watching the cats skirt around them warily - i think they've got their noses out of joint;).

Back
Top Bottom