Chicken fights

sesa

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Thurmont, Md
I've got 4 chickens that I got at a day old that have been a tight group up until today. They are about 17 weeks old and today I noticed one of the EE's picking on the RIR. Like I said these chickens have been the best of friends before this, is this normal for chickens to all of a sudden start fighting with each other?

You didn't say what sex they are, but yes, it is normal for chickens to have a 'pecking order', even if they are all hens. If any of them are roosters, then oh yeah, they are going to fight and establish who's boss.

Yes, it is even MORE normal when they are 17 weeks old and getting to that age ... you know... when.... you know... when boys fight off other boys to get all the girls. (lol)

Seriously, they get to maturity and BAM! Dynamics of the group change.

We have the same problem, except that we have only two. When we take them to our son's place, where their sisters are, these four form two distinct gangs and fight each other like crazy. Today, one of ours at home laid her egg and the other waited, as she refuses to use her own nest for it.

Right after she layed her egg, she started pecking at the Leghorn to the point where she hurt her comb and we had to bring her in for "treatment". Following that, she (Miss Brownm) tried it again and we separated them for a few hours. Now, with rain and wind, they are toghether bundled up like twins and no longer fight. What causes it? Do you know?
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom