Chicken fights

seafood

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
I was just down in the basement hanging out with the almost 3 week old chicks. (by the way we introduced meal worms tonight...it was a big hit)...anyway...2 of the Buff Orps were constantly at each other.

They would sort of square up to one another...then have a stare down, and then each would jump at each other, flaring their wings, pecking and trying to jump on the other...then they would stop...lift their heads as high as possible and repeat. This happened like 4 or 5 times in the span of a few minutes.

Is this usual behaviour for hens...or am I looking at one or maybe even two roosters?

thanks for your thoughts.

Mine are all supposed to be girls and they are now 16 days old. Over the past couple of days I have really started noticing them doing this too. I assume this is where the term "pecking order" comes from. I think it is pretty normal as long as they aren't pulling feathers and drawing blood.

* edited to add I really have noticed this behavior more when there is a "treat" involved.

Last edited:
ep.gif
Mine have never been quite that aggressive, but there has been occasional pecking. Do they have enough room to run around? I added more room and perches to allow them some personal space. Of course they always chase eachother about when treats are involved. They also run at each other and chest-bump, very funny. In fact I think I might have a video of this....
Ya, here it is. Give it a moment and you'll see 2 of my BR run up and bump chests
lau.gif

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/PortiaHank/?action=view&current=IMGP3762.flv
<hopefully that works>

That's funny! The more, the merrier is really true with chickens. Mine have started doing this half run-half fly thing when they free range. Sometimes I wonder if they're spooked! I laugh out loud so much more than I did before I had chickens. Since no one is home with me to enjoy them, I'm glad you folks are here who understand.
big_smile.png
Aren't they just the funniest when they waddle-run?

Last edited:
All my chicks playfight with each other, but we only think we have one boy...sometimes they have air fights, and fly around their brooder banging into each other
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom