Chicken flap/door in a sliding window - brainstorm with me?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by limabean, Nov 6, 2011.

1. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    My coop is mounted inside my garage, with the run mounted on the outside of the garage. The chickens use the open sliding window to go in & out.
    The run is *very* secure against predators (really, I promise!), so up till now I've just left that window open at all times.

As winter approaches, I think that opening will let in too much cold... So I thought about getting a pet door, but the ones designed to fit in a sliding window are way too costly. So I am trying to think of some sort of material I can affix to the opening that would shelter it somewhat, that the chickens could hopefully learn to push their way through.

- heavy plastic sheeting?
    - thick old wool blanket?
    -????

2. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you concerned with wind or just cold? A heavy blanket might help keep the cold out. If wind is the problem the blanket idea might not work well.

Brain storm? How about an entry board that works like those handicap access doors. It would open the door when stepped on and slowly start closing after a short time.

Swinging doors? They might be easier for chickens to open and can swing both ways as long as they don't shut too quickly on the babies.

Garage door-type opener that works with an 'eye' to open and closes once the entryway is clear.

I really love the way your coop sounds. Most everything can be done from inside your garage. Sigh! My coop is many shovel scoops away from the house.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

3. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oooh, some of your ideas sound delightfully fancy, but too po$h for my ladies.

I think I'm going to get some heavy clear vinyl and make a flap curtain like what you see on walk-in freezers, butterfly sanctuaries, etc.

The garage is stand alone, but only 20 feet or so from my kitchen door, so it's a pretty good arrangement! Someday I'll get around to posting pictures.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd build a light wooden frame, covered with plywood or paneling, with an opening large enough for the chickens at the bottom.

Set the frame in the window opening, and close the window against it to hold it in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by