Chicken Flocks Socializing with People (Do you rank in the pecking order?)

Yes, I suspect handling them does change things. I raised my hens in a large cardboard box in my study so there was a lot of time spent playing with the chicks since they were always close by making strange little chick noises. I kind of like being part of the flock (as long as I am the alpha hen) but it does mean I have to occasionally put my dominant hen back in her place. haha
yesss.gif

thanks! I don't believe it"s malicious,maybe I am part of the flock, they follow me everywhere and they sit on my lap and close to me outside..

Hens are surprisingly good pets. Mine love me best when I am gardening and there is a chance to find grubs and other creepy crawlies. As soon as I grab a shovel, I have a whole flock of best friends.

None of the 3 hens we have now were raised by us. Daisy came to us a young pullet and i could barely get near her. Patsy and Lilly were rehomed to us when they were fully grown. After a year plus of patience (and food), now I cant get rid of them sometimes. Daisy is always flying up into my lap to see what's up. All three come running to see me when I come home. They just followed me on a walk all around the perimeter of the yard, yacking away the whole time. I just feel if you spend time with them, they will adopt you into the flock.

They squat down when they first run up to me. My wife calls me their rooster. I love the attention. ;)

Haha....mine do that too. If I put my hand out they "curtsey". It's a little weird if you read too much into it, but I think it's funny more than anything. I guess that makes me a rooster too.

my 2 best lap girls peck at me before they jump on my back or in my lap
1f601.png
. I put them inside my robe where they'll stay for hours if I let them...weird? They are the best pets I've ever had..

Back
Top Bottom