Chicken Food Tower

07.16 Update

So far the growth meets my expectation, both grass and veggies seeds are germinating from the side and the top of the tower.

Young grass
27043.jpg

grass and some brassicas seedlings
27044.jpg

brassicas seedlings, 2-3 days for them in summer will be enough to germiante
27047.jpg

Well, i don't really care they will be eaten as micro greens or leafy greens, no matter what, they will be the food+fun of the chickens.
27041.jpg

Top, some grass and some peas
27048.jpg

Another top, but I added another thin layer of compost just yesterday, few days later more seedlings will appear.
27045.jpg

07.11 Update

Yesterday it rained again heavily, so all the towers are well watered. :lau Two of them are now 80% full, so on the top layer, I planted mixed basil, and then again covered with a thin layer of compost. View attachment 2755466

The coming week we will again have plenty rain (really a bit too much...), so the good thing is no need to worry about watering. Besides, during the process of piling it up, I added some green materials so some moisture can be kept.

So far seems the girls are curious about their new hang-out areas :D

View attachment 2755503

View attachment 2755504
View attachment 2755505
View attachment 2755507
Question - have you considered setting up the towers in a square or triangle patter to add some stability, with the roosting bars between them? Or do you think they are massive enough, in spite of the small foot print relative to height, that there's no risk of toppling??? I can't imagine some small stakes at the bottom would do more than help the base hold its shape.

Question - have you considered setting up the towers in a square or triangle patter to add some stability, with the roosting bars between them? Or do you think they are massive enough, in spite of the small foot print relative to height, that there's no risk of toppling??? I can't imagine some small stakes at the bottom would do more than help the base hold its shape.
Thanks, i didn't think about that, the hardware cloth comes in a roll, so just cut it and make it into round shape. It might be a bit difficult for me to make them into square or triangle shape (2.5mm). So far it is quite stable and I guess sooner or later, all the roots from the new plants will become another support as they have free access to the ground, and I always leave the roots in.

However, more support will be always a better option, I will update here after the plants grows bigger.

Thanks, i didn't think about that, the hardware cloth comes in a roll, so just cut it and make it into round shape. It might be a bit difficult for me to make them into square or triangle shape (2.5mm). So far it is quite stable and I guess sooner or later, all the roots from the new plants will become another support as they have free access to the ground, and I always leave the roots in.

However, more support will be always a better option, I will update here after the plants grows bigger.
I meant placing them in a square or triangle shape, connected by roosting polls, not shaping the towers into triangles or rectangles. Your round shape is actually both strongest and most efficient for containing the contents.

Sorry I was unclear. Apologies also for the stick figure character of the illustration, I know its crude, I'm rushed today.

1626455108607.png

Last edited:
I meant placing them in a square or triangle shape, connected by roosting polls, not shaping the towers into triangles or rectangles. Your round shape is actually both strongest and most efficient for containing the contents.

Sorry I was unclear. Apologies also for the stick figure character of the illustration, I know its crude, I'm rushed today.

View attachment 2762107
Ah, now i understand you, yes, this I did think about when I settled the last 2 and I plant to arrange another 4 of them in another run just like the squre shape you illustrate above! Because as you said, it will be more stable and even more like a place for them to hang out :D

In fact I can't wait to make the next food towers, just waiting the hardware cloth to arrive, and no problem, all kinds of communication have risk to be misunderstood, and you know what, I am so glad that we have such a discussion, becoz it's originally just an idea with many imaginations in my head, that's so nice we can talk about it and see how a better version can be accomodated, i like it!

07.18 Update

The established ones have so far nice growth, and some girls (also baby chicks) have already found and tried to get some snacks from the towers. It's funny to see how concentrated they are to figure out young leaves and jump, jump, jump.
27319.jpg

27318.jpg

27323.jpg

27322.jpg

The carrot tops are also growing
27320.jpg

I added another 4 in another run, will put in this time majorly grass and wild flower seeds.
27325.jpg

27346.jpg

I personally like this idea very much, and will also try to put one in my vegetable patch, but for the vegetable patch, I will insert a 4-week seedlings from the side instead of directly sow.

Back
Top Bottom