Chicken Getting Pretty Bad Pretty Quick

Kevan Grant

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
A few days ago we noticed one of our ex battery hens of about 3-5 years old seemed to have a cold, sneezing etc.
Today she is lying down in the run, uninterested in food but will drink, her crest has become darkened to a bluey black and her back end is dirty, it feels like there is a build up of pooh in her rear end, she hasn't poohed for a while and the last she did was very watery, what can people recommend I personally can do right now for her?
We don't think she's laid since she became ill and we keep them in a coop at night on perches.

I know it sounds crazy but give her wine as much as u can give her, what this does is it is like you taking elaxitve but a lot quicker, ever drank a bottle of wine? most of the time you will be on the toilet for a while, hope this helps you out its worked for me several times,good luck.

She is incredibly sleepy and refuses to move, we washed her back end, her breathing sounds like she has a cold or a runny nose...

If her comb is blue-black then she has a serious respiratory issue. If you are not willing/able to bring her to a vet then the kindest thing you can do is to euthanize her. She is suffering and is unlikely to recover with out veterinary intervention. I would also be concerned about her spreading a disease into the remaining flock. Respiratory diseases are notorious for being highly contagious. At the very least separate her out from the rest of your flock. I am sorry for your girl. She has not had an easy time with being an ex-battery hen. You are a good person for rescuing her.

Even when offered treats she refuses to eat, it does look like we'll need her put down
sad.png

A dull comb also indicates dehydration. Sounds like it's her time to go. Make sure you don't prolong the suffering.

My chickens went pale and looked sick just like yours but were 1 year old I lost them in 3 days every chicken in that pen.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom