Chicken going to live?

ALRwild

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Idaho
My stupid dog attacked my amazing cochin Magnus.
somad.gif
Although at this point I'm about ready to kill both of my dogs, I have to worry about Magnus first. She is limping REALLY badly and is right now hiding under a bush. She is also panting a lot (the poor girl is really stressed out). At this point I don't want to touch her because I think it will just make her even more stressed out. Should I just let her sit there and possibly die?!?!?! I can't, but yet we haven't seen any visible wounds on her, so we don't know what we're dealing with. What do you think I should do? I don't think that we will be going to the vet today because my other dumb dog was just in the vet, and my chameleon was in frequent care at the vet for weeks (even though he ended up dying), so I think that my parents are sick of going there. I'm on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would try to gently get her out so you can look her over to see if she has any injuries. Then you can decide next steps from there, good luck.

Dogs have been my worst predator - luckily not mine. That would be a tough choice.

You need to check her thoroughly so you can deal with her injuries. A big dog bite could be broken bones and internal injuries without broken skin.

She may recover if you know what's wrong and treat that.

Chickens that have injuries will try to mask them so as to appear robust to the flock lest they be killed by them.

Survival of the flock requires all birds to be healthy.

I would isolate her in a safe, comfortable, cool, dark place with food and water very near and leave her alone for a while. I had a hen who was attacked by a coyote and she looked really bad and could barely walk. Her body looked crushed. She began laying a few days later and her eggs were huge and miss shapen, but she continue to totally recover though her eggs never got round again. Hope your girl is okay.
hugs.gif

After something like that I would guess she may feel you're her only friend. Be easy with her and find what injuries she may. I would guess that about her only shot if she is hurt.

Thanks guys. I think I will put her in a box in my room or basement so that she has a cold and dark place to rest. i be live she has a broken left leg, but she is really tired and can barely keep her eyes open. I'll tell you how it goes. Thanks again. -Audrey

New update....
sad.png
I think that she has a big cut on her neck...... When I went up to my ladies coop to retrieve her she was snuggled up in the corner of the run with Peony, the leader of the flock and her best friend. It was the most pathetic and cute thing I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom