Chicken gone hyper help please!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nuller, Feb 12, 2015.

1. nuller

nuller New Egg

Feb 12, 2015
    I have been having malay chicken for about 8 months now. She laid eggs last year and she was fine. She used to get a little hyper when she wants to lay an egg but other than that it was all fine. These few days she has been acting very hyper doesn't lay eggs always looks to jump onto something always searching for something with the mouth open and breathing heavily. I'm actually pretty scared if something is happening to her. Can someone help me please!! Is this a normal phase in their life cycle? or is she in heat? or is she unwell?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome to BYC.

Sorry I don't know what is wrong with your chicken but this does not sound like normal behavior and she is likely ill.

I would suggest you post the problem under emergencies and hopefully you will get some experienced opinions.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

x2 on sunflour's advice.

Good luck!

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your bird, either.[​IMG] I would post in the Emergencies section (Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures) for some good answers.

Good luck with her, and I hope she's okay!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

First thing you might want to do is check her for egg binding. She might be panicking if she can't lay an egg. Put on a latex glove with some KY-jelly or Vaseline on the index finger and gently insert your finger into her vent straight back. If there is a stuck egg, you will feel it right there within the first inch or so. If you go more than 2 inches in, then the egg could still be in the uterus and is not yet considered stuck. If there is no egg there, she is not egg bound.

Have you cleaned out your nest boxes recently? If they are dirty, stinky or something is in there, she won't use them and might be panicking because she doesn't know where to lay her egg. So you might try cleaning everything out, dusting for mites and replace with new bedding and see if this doesn't calm her down.

Good luck and I hope you can get her calmed down soon!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen! [​IMG]I would definitely post in the Emergencies section that Wyandottes7 linked to. Good luck with her!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry, I cannot think of what could be upsetting your hen unless she was some brain disturbance

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hen, hope she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by