Chicken got attacked by coyote - Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dadacat, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dadacat

dadacat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    Hello All,

my three chickens got attacked this morning by a coyote. It was horrible.

I had just let them out of their coop to free range in my backyard until I leave for work. It was around 7am and light outside. Within a couple of minutes hell broke loose in my backyard and I ran out there to find a coyote with one of my chickens in his mouth. I chased it off and it released the chicken. That poor thing was so scared and run to hide in her nesting box. Then I saw another chicken laying on the ground flapping around with a bend neck. I think its neck was broken and it died quickly. All of a sudden my third chicken runs out of a bush screaming towards me.It was a horrible horrible scene.

The one that made it out of the coyotes mouth is limping and got injured on her backside. Her vent looks intact but she has a surface wound above it. Also a tear. My neighbors helped me to stop the bleeding and we cleaned the wounds with peroxide. On her leg she got a punctured wound, probably from the teeth of the coyote.

I put her in a box inside my house to rest. I have left work twice to check on her and she was eating some bread and I have made her a scrambled egg which she ate as well. So I guess that is a good sign.

My question is: Besides neosporin, what would you guys suggest putting on the wounds? What is best to keep infection at bay and where can I buy it?

Sorry if this information is somewhere on the forum readily available. I am still beside myself and couldn't find it easily.

The chicken that got killed was our favorite one. Luckily my daughter was with her dad this morning and she didn't have to witness this but I will have to tell her tomorrow when she comes back.

Thank you all for your help!

Daniela

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Go to a local feed store such as tractor supply and they have healing sprays for chickens.Best of luck.Keep her inside with food and water until she heals.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First, I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

The wounds should be fine with just Neosporin. If you want, though, you could get some Blue-kote or Vetericyin spray, often sold at farm supply stores. Those two sprays are designed to disinfect wounds and promote healing. I've used both in the past, and have had the most success with the Vetericyn--it is less messy and really helped a wound on one of my rabbits (not a chicken, but similar) heal quickly and completely.

Keep an eye out for severe swelling, an off odor, pus, sick behavior, or other signs of infection. If an infection does develop, an antibiotic like Penicillin or Tylan would be needed. However, chickens are remarkably good at healing, even from gruesome wounds.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 You have been given good advice from @BantamLover21

All I have to add it that I'm sorry for you loss.

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry for your loss as well. The only other advice I have is to keep your chickens and any other small animals you have inside for a few days at least. I have dealt with coyotes before and they will be back several days in a row now that they've discovered you. Best wishes

6. dadacat

Aug 28, 2015
    Thank you all so much for your help.

I went to Petco yesterday and got a Vetericyin spray. I also ordered Blue-kote and it will get here tomorrow. My neighbors helped me clean her wounds last night. It took us almost an hour because we found some more piercing wounds from the teeth. We drenched all the wounds with Vetericyin spray and then applied Neosporin generously. We bandaged her leg and put gauze over the abrasions on her back. Gauze was still on this morning but she discovered it and may pick it off during the day.

Overall the chicken seemed in good spirits (given the circumstances) and was eating. I have her in my house in a box. The other chicken is alone in the coop outside and not too happy about it. I will bring her in this afternoon so they can see each other.

I took the injured chicken out of the box this morning and she was walking much better than yesterday. She is walking slowly and carefully but not limping anymore so much and seems to be steadier overall.

I am leaving town Sunday morning and just hope that by then the wounds have closed and I can put her back in the coop with the other chicken.

Tonight my daughter comes back and I will have to tell her :(

7. dadacat

Aug 28, 2015
    A picture of the patient:
    [​IMG]

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. dadacat

Aug 28, 2015
    Thank you all for your support!

I am amazed on how quickly chickens heal. On Tuesday we were not sure if she would make it and today she is walking around like nothing ever happened. Her wounds heal quickly and the bite wounds are all scabbed over already. The big abrasion on her back is almost closed up as well. Once the feathers come back in she will be as good as new [​IMG]

The other one that was hiding in the bushes seems pretty neurotic but she always had a hang for that. Hopefully over time she will get more relaxed.

10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yes, the other one will be traumatized for a bit.Glad she recovered[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by