Chicken got attacked! Need help with wounds!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jdc361, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    So my hen got attacked by a raccoon and has an open wound on its back towards its tail feathers. She is isolated from the flock and I am feeding her feather fixer and giving her electrolytes and probiotics in her water. The attack happened Saturday night and I got her away from the others Sunday morning. Yesterday and today I've put hydrogen peroxide on the wound but I don't know if that's okay or not. I was just looking at it as best I could and It looked like she had some kind of white worms in it! Help please! I don't know what I'm supposed to do!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like she has maggots in her wound.

Flush/soak the wound with Epsom salts, salt water, Betadine, or soap and water in a warm bath. Peroxide was ok, but stop using it, it can further damage the skin. Look for maggots and maggot larvae. Get out any pus that you see, you may need to use tweezers to get the maggots out. Repeat the flushing/bath again a couple of times a day until all maggots are gone, then dry it and apply a plain antibiotic ointment (bacitracin, neosporin, vetericyn, etc.)
    Watch for any signs of infection - pus, odors, oozing.

Make sure she is drinking and offer her feed with some egg, tuna or mackerel.

Keep us posted on her progress.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

3. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank u so mhx
    thank u so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by