Chicken Got Beat Up! Will It Work Itself Out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briter30, Oct 9, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    I had 3 Easter Eggers that are 7 months old. I bought another chicken the other day and made the mistake of putting the chicken into the run where my 3 EE pecked at her and pulled her feathers. After about 2 minutes of them chasing her around the run, I took her out and kept her in a crate outside the run. Day # 2 she stayed in the crate outside the run. Day # 3, I have been trying to slowly introduce her to the flock. I placed the EXTRA LARGE wired crate inside the run and added food, water and perch. The new chicken is scared to death. She flew up to her perch and has not moved off it to eat/drink all day. My EE are flying on top of the crate and trying to "re-introduce" themselves...and not in such a friendly way. Is this the best approach to introduce them. I am new at this, so are my chances high that they will eventually get along? My newbie is an adult and about 2/3 the size of my EE?

2. autumnprairie

autumnprairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Quote:The few times that I have introduced newbies in with my girls (BO) it took a bit
    The first time was a peice of cake they were the same breed but they were adults and they ignored each other.
    The second second time was a different breed (silkies) the baby rooster showed them who was boss so after a day they were friends.
    the last time was babies and I had to cage them for two weeks with one of my silkies so they would have a protector. they were ok after that

what I noticed the more they look alike the faster it goes,
    hope this helps
    what kind is your new one

3. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    a frizzle (where the feathers are mutated to fluff up)

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Do you have other hens in with the boys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by