Chicken - Guinea hybrid??

thislittlepig73

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2022
San Angelo TX
Hi y’all! I have a Black Langshan hen (Matilda) who recently hatched two chicks. My rooster is a red giant Brahma (Red). Before she went broody, I had another rooster (Gaston) who was black and white Polish. And I have a bunch of guineas. Anyway, these two chicks are very different from each other. One chick is solid black and still has the fluffy baby feathers you would expect. But the other chick is totally different. It is black and white and after about a week it looked to be completely feathered. And the tail feathers stick up like a tiny rooster. During the day the mama and her feathered chick leave the brooder and roam the barnyard. The feathered chick has to fly a little, about two feet, in order to get out of the brooder. No problem. But the little black chick can’t get out of the brooder - no real feathers yet - and it peep-peep-peeps all day for mama, so she goes back and forth to check on the one and roam with the other. My question is: why are the chicks so different? The feathered one doesn’t even look like a chick. But neither does it look exactly like a keet. Could it be a chicken-Guinea hybrid? All my birds roam the same area, but I’ve never seen a Guinea mating any of my chicken hens. But it’s the only explanation I can come up with. I’m attaching pics - what do y’all think?

Attachments

• 5ED23FB6-C8BA-4774-8AB9-BBB857506198.jpeg
    5ED23FB6-C8BA-4774-8AB9-BBB857506198.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 22DC2A1E-CDC9-4B6B-B72D-4A4E5A3AFD86.jpeg
    22DC2A1E-CDC9-4B6B-B72D-4A4E5A3AFD86.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C1C9B332-1FC8-4D08-80F0-B025412CDA3F.jpeg
    C1C9B332-1FC8-4D08-80F0-B025412CDA3F.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 15
The feathered chick has to fly a little, about two feet, in order to get out of the brooder. No problem. But the little black chick can’t get out of the brooder - no real feathers yet - and it peep-peep-peeps all day for mama, so she goes back and forth to check on the one and roam with the other.
That's a terrible set up for a broody and babies.. imo.. torture! Make it so the little one can stay with mum and bro.. PLEASE.

They're both chicken chicks.. one just has less desirable genetics than the other. Are there no other hens that could be the mum? Some breeds carry a fast feathering gene while other carry slow feather.. they can be crossed and sometimes even feather sexed (linked) around 3 days old.

She looks like a proud mom, doing a great job! :love

Back
Top Bottom