Chicken gurgling

Tetracycline can be mixed at 2 strengths (at least the Duramycin10 brand.)  If she is still gurgling in 3 days you can go up to the higher dosing of 800mg which I believe is 1 TB per gallon.  Tetracycline can also be given up to 14 days if she is not better.  Give her some probiotics in her food or water to help replace the good bacteria in her gut.  I have heard that tetracycline is bitter tasting, and one BYCer recommends using 4 oz cranberry juice to replace some of the water in mixing it.  That way she will drink it better hopefully.  If you don't feel that the tetracycline is working, switch to Tylan Soluble Powder or Tylan50 injectable.

Thank you!

Infectious bronchitis can be caused often by mycoplasma...specifically gallisepticum. It is extremely contagious as the bacteria (it is a bacteria not a virus...tylan is an antibiotic most effective against mycoplasma. Viruses are not effected by antibiotics.) is extremely small and can be carried through nasal passages of humans...it is also extremely common as many wild birds are carriers. I have a lot of experience with dealing with this and while the exposed birds will be carriers for life the symptoms are treatable and, I beliebe, preventable. I was able to deal with a poultry vet through a vet University which has helped. Foest of all doxycycline or tetracycline in water will not trwat the gurgling bird fast enough and neither will tylan soluble. Tylan 50 or 200 will burn the esophagus of a bird if administered orally and will odten cause muscle atrophy if injected intramuscularly.it should be given subcutaneously near folds of the wing and body or leg and body. Tylan 50 at o.5 cc done 2x a day for3 days at most should knock out symptoms. Often even results after the first injection. Typically mycoplasma will have some sneezing with clear discharge as the very fiest symptom after a couple days the gurgle starts and then if untreated the bubble eye will occur. Ince they get to this stage its hard to get under control and they need more injections. Denegard administered as a preventative once a month for a couple days has prevented all 50 of my carrier birds to be asymptomatic for 10 months now.
The key is isolating the first bird to show symptoms and treating it pronto.
Disinfecting the coop is a daunting task with mycoplasma simply because it is literally so small, sticks to everything and is so highly contagious. Infected birds can infect healthy birds so fast that respiratory symptoms can start in less than 5 days. Wash and disinfect feeders and waterers they might have shared at the very least with bleach

Yikes, not sure I can isolate!
We have 2 coops and 28 hens and several in the one coop, that has too much moisture inside, are the ones who gurgle! I have given them more ventilation-which I am aware is the biggest source for the problem to start,...but I don't know I can isolate the sick ones -all exposed now-anyhow good suggestions

Infectious bronchitis can be caused often by mycoplasma...specifically gallisepticum. It is extremely contagious as the bacteria (it is a bacteria not a virus...tylan is an antibiotic most effective against mycoplasma. Viruses are not effected by antibiotics.) is extremely small and can be carried through nasal passages of humans...it is also extremely common as many wild birds are carriers. I have a lot of experience with dealing with this and while the exposed birds will be carriers for life the symptoms are treatable and, I beliebe, preventable. I was able to deal with a poultry vet through a vet University which has helped. Foest of all doxycycline or tetracycline in water will not trwat the gurgling bird fast enough and neither will tylan soluble. Tylan 50 or 200 will burn the esophagus of a bird if administered orally and will odten cause muscle atrophy if injected intramuscularly.it should be given subcutaneously near folds of the wing and body or leg and body. Tylan 50 at o.5 cc done 2x a day for3 days at most should knock out symptoms. Often even results after the first injection. Typically mycoplasma will have some sneezing with clear discharge as the very fiest symptom after a couple days the gurgle starts and then if untreated the bubble eye will occur. Ince they get to this stage its hard to get under control and they need more injections. Denegard administered as a preventative once a month for a couple days has prevented all 50 of my carrier birds to be asymptomatic for 10 months now.
The key is isolating the first bird to show symptoms and treating it pronto.
Disinfecting the coop is a daunting task with mycoplasma simply because it is literally so small, sticks to everything and is so highly contagious. Infected birds can infect healthy birds so fast that respiratory symptoms can start in less than 5 days. Wash and disinfect feeders and waterers they might have shared at the very least with bleach

Yikes, not sure I can isolate!
We have 2 coops and 28 hens and several in the one coop, that has too much moisture inside, are the ones who gurgle! I have given them more ventilation-which I am aware is the biggest source for the problem to start,...but I don't know I can isolate the sick ones -all exposed now-anyhow good suggestions
You could try Tylan Soluble Powder. It's prescription only, but i think it can be found on amazon and ebay. Would be best to consult with a vet.

I see tractor supply has the injectable for cattle, so that probably wouldn't work?

Vet here usually sees cattle only. They tend to laugh about some of the small animal issues/well, not exactly laugh, but you know!

I see tractor supply has the injectable for cattle, so that probably wouldn't work?

Vet here usually sees cattle only.  They tend to laugh about some of the small animal issues/well, not exactly laugh, but you know!
you could use the injectable, but you would have to give it at least twice a day.

They also have the Vet RX, I believe, would that be helpful?

Need to go out and see who all has what going on, I believe the one coop has nothing, while the more airtight coop has a few birds affected.

Once I drive to the store, they may have other options, ...but I was basing it from online. It is just a 45 minute drive, so I want to make it worthwhile and get whatever may work best.

Thank you!

They also have the Vet RX, I believe, would that be helpful?

Need to go out and see who all has what going on, I believe the one coop has nothing, while the more airtight coop has a few birds affected.

Once I drive to the store, they may have other options, ...but I was basing it from online.  It is just a 45 minute drive, so I want to make it worthwhile and get whatever may work best.

Thank you!

I think the only antibiotics they will have are injectable Tylan, oxytetracyline, and penicillin. Of those three, the Tylan is probably you best option.

Great! Thanks, I will see about getting that this afternoon? You think I treat only those with the gurgles?

Are you familiar with the vet RX? Would that help?

Also, will see about pro bios

Thanks so much!

The vet gave us LS - 50 for the birds gurgles. It was a powder premixed in a container that I take 20CC's out and add to a gallon of water. I began this on Wednesday night, as their only source of water. It is Sunday, and it was 5th dose, and the birds are all still alive...breathing, eating, drinking, pooping...some still gurgle-though they all didn't gurgle/...anyhow, they do seem some better. Certainly they aren't worse.

I intend to contact the vet in the morning, as I feel I will need some more of this or something else to get them well. Not sure if I should continue with the same stuff or what they will say either. I know they didn't have the Tylan powder, which seems to be what everyone else uses! Ugh!

Any suggestions? The birds would love to go outside, and it has been challenging keeping them inside! However, with new snow, it has been easier to keep them in!

Thank you for any help or suggestions you may have.

Tetracycline can be mixed at 2 strengths (at least the Duramycin10 brand.) If she is still gurgling in 3 days you can go up to the higher dosing of 800mg which I believe is 1 TB per gallon. Tetracycline can also be given up to 14 days if she is not better. Give her some probiotics in her food or water to help replace the good bacteria in her gut. I have heard that tetracycline is bitter tasting, and one BYCer recommends using 4 oz cranberry juice to replace some of the water in mixing it. That way she will drink it better hopefully. If you don't feel that the tetracycline is working, switch to Tylan Soluble Powder or Tylan50 injectable.
I have Amprolium on hand. Can I use that?

Back
Top Bottom