Chicken has air pocket under skin

This isnt really about the dog, but I can hardly let the mention of the word D-O-G go by without saying something against them. I have had troubles with them, once losing an entire flock to normally mellow domestic hounds.
Most chicken people have some sort of canine troubles, sooner or later, enough to put all dogs on the suspect list.
I dont trust them, soft mouth or not. They may be "man's best friend"... but that benevolence doesn't extend to chickens. Be watchful.

Glad to hear you're on top of the wind puff issue, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
once again i agree w/the leave it alone factor! if she is eating and breathing leave it be! as my dad says "dont fix it if it aint broke!" lol Be sure to give us an update!

Well, for the sake of seeing if it's a bigger problem than it probably is, I evacuated the air pockets today. I sanitized the area and then sucked out the air with my sterile syringe and the 16 ga needle. I got 60 cc's out of each side of her keel. I made sure to avoid any veins or arteries I could see, she didn't fuss at all. I want to see if they fill back up again, then I will worry. I worked as a vet tech for 2 years so I wasn't worried about the 'procedure'. I will keep you posted if they fill up again.

We don't let the dog out unsupervised anymore. This chicken "Dawn" was gotten when my friend let him out not knowing the chickens were out. I'm just glad he hadn't killed or maimed any of them before we figured out he couldn't be trusted alone with them.

Thank you again everyone!

you are so welcome! Hope all is better! DONT WORRY ABOUT THE DOG THING ! DOO-DOO OCCURS!
ya.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
REALLY helpful link. Thanks for posting it (however old this thread may be, it is relevant to me today!).

I have this occuring to i prepped the skin with alcohol pads and aspirated it as well chicken seems to be fine she was alright before but so swollen i felt obligated to let off pressure. I got about 50 cc of "gas" gonna follow up with wayer aoluable antibiotics. My patient is a 13 weeks old cochin. Just was attacked by stray dogs lost 11 out of 20 in one morning. Pooped my party big time

I do have sterile syringes and 16 ga. needles (both my mom and my boyfriend's mom are nurses) so I could aspirate it... just didn't want to without knowing what caused it, and now that I'm thinking about it she had a little gassiness when I was handling her after the dog got her so it may not be related to that. If it gets any larger and tighter I will aspirate it.

My dog has been a bit of a problem, I would love to let him guard them, but he's a bird dog and if they start running or flapping around playing he gets excited. Thankfully he has a soft mouth so he's not hurt any, but I can't get anymore until I have a place to keep them apart.

Thank you for the help!
Unfortunately bird dogs have a natural instinct to hunt birds and retrieve them. That's why lots of duck hunters use them. Hopefully you can retrain but be aware that instinct is hard to subdue.
Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom