Chicken has learned to use doggie door

LAChickenLady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
One of our girls is crazy about coming into the house to try to find a place to lay. She's only been laying for about six weeks, and has found some unusual places. At one point, we discovered she was laying on the roof of our garage (yes, she no longer has access), she has also laid on the cement of our laundry room. Obviously, we discourage her from coming inside, but have returned home to see her there. Other than the obvious poop issue, do we need to worry about it being dangerous or unhealthy in any way?

Again, this is not something we encourage, but she has done it when we're not home. Today, we put a couple wooden eggs in the nesting boxes and are really hoping she'll take to them. (yes, this is a shot of her eating our dog's wet food. I couldn't resist).

Well, you wouldn't want them perched on the bathroom sink, pooping on the toothbrushes! You would have to child proof your home as if you have an eight foot tall baby! They are strong enough to knock over and break many things! That glass fruit bowl on the kitchen counter, uh uh, Grandma's urn on the mantel, better move it! You get the idea.
big_smile.png

We have a Great Dane, it's been giant puppy proofed. Like I said, we don't are aren't going to encourage it. I just wanted to be sure there isn't anything dangerous, disease wise, if they do come in. Blocking off the dog door is not an option, I'd rather have a little chicken poop, than Great Dane poop to clean up any day!

Keep her confined to coop and run until she lays each day for a few weeks to establish the habit of using the coop nest to lay.
Repeat as necessary.

I would think that the dogs would clean up after the chicken in the house.
As long as you don't have kids crawling on the floor, the health risk to you and your dogs is negligible.

Last edited:
That's a hilarious photo!

The dog doesn't look too happy sharing. How do you dogs get along with your birds?

I'm loving the dogs face in the pic! He is like what is this chicken doing! And on a side note we have a great dane also! They are such great dogs!

Back
Top Bottom