Chicken has wierd white lump under her vent help

chickenherder26

Chirping
Sep 19, 2021
Wisconsin
Our 18 month Rhode Island red chicken has a white lump about 3 inches below her vent. It seems to be under or fused to the skin. It doesn't move so I don't think it is a worm but it's kind of hard. We were treating them for the 4th time for lice with a permethrin dip when we noticed it... you can see the area is reddened and she has lost feathers where we assume she pulled them out itching. Her neck is bare of feathers and there's a bare spot on the top of each wing that is also reddened where she probably itches. She is her normal usual self otherwise...always looking for treats and underfoot if she thinks we have any...She does seem much smaller like she's lost weight or at least is possibly molting in addition to the feathers she's pulled out. We looked up flystrike but I dont think that is what it is because its just one lump and it doesn't move. There is not a wound. We haven't noticed any abnormal droppings and we've never seen her get picked on.
They have free access to layer feed and daily fresh water. We have 10 chickens and they share an 11x8 coop which is half coop and half attached, covered run where their food is. Then they can go into a large enclosed outdoor run it;s like 25x25 plus we free range them for at least a couple hours daily. The other chickens seem fine other than losing feathers on their bottoms due to the lice issue. This chicken's sister, incidentally, stopped laying eggs 6 months ago at about a year old; her comb and wattles had become paler but she herself otherwise looks great, her feathers look much better and she is much heavier than this chicken. We attributed the stop in egg laying and anemic appearance to the lice but she has not re-started laying yet. We have not tested for internal parasites but have not noticed anything like that. We are in western WI and will add that to our profile.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Paprika issue.jpg
    Paprika issue.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Pappy.jpg
    Pappy.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 50
Lice do not cause anemia, but mites will. The chicken in the picture looks to be molting, and that is normal this time of year. I haven’t seen a lesion that looks like the one you are seeing, but I would clean it with chlorhexidene or disinfectant daily. It might be from a peck wound, but it may be something else. I would make sure they are eating and drinking, and would give some extra protein snacks such as scrambled egg, tuna, or sunflower kernels in moderation .

Looks like a clogged feather follicle.

I would disinfect thoroughly and carefully pry the feather out, maybe using a previously sterilized neddle or similar..
That could be it. Impacted feather cysts can cause abscesses. Usually they will form an abscess, and using a sterilized needle to probe for a feather underneath might tell you if that is what it is.

Thank you! She had lost the feathers on her neck probably a couple months ago so we thought it might be early for molting but we think she can reach at least some of them and maybe pulled them out herself. So if it's an impacted feather cyst and absess, does that mean it's infected? If we clean it with disinfectant do we have to take a needle to it? I"m just wondering what is the worst case scenario if we didn't take the needle to it because that doesn't sound nice for her.
There is no problem with her eating! She is our sassiest chicken and always wants to eat.
Thank you so much for all your help!

I would seek to remove it to avoid having this devolve into a fly-strike type situation. I would use a needle - can even be like a sewing needle (run a flame over it).

The outer layer of skin on this should not be sensitive. Starting from that hole, I would stick the needle through, parallel to her skin. i.e. you're not DIGGING or sticking the needle INTO the hen!!!! The needle goes in by the bottom hole and comes out at the top of the cyst, like I've drawn on the picture below, staying well away from any flesh. Think of it like peeling it like an orange.

The object of the exercise is to create flaps of skin on the outside of this cyst so the material and ingrown feather can be removed. It is probably very hard pus. It wouldn't "pop" like a zit.

Once the white part is out, the underlying problem will likely be an ingrown feather. Because it looks to be just one feather and isn't in the same class as the ones in the article linked above, it probably won't even really bleed.

Again - I would be more worried about leaving it alone and having it turn into something much worse.

If you have betadine (iodine) or chlorhexidine or Vetricyn, use one of those to clean the area wound. If all you have is peroxide that's fine to use- but only on the initial cleanout.

Then I would use some antibiotic ointment .

InkedCyst_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom