chicken has worms and diahrea

If you have vet care, that is always best.

I agree that you should deworm your chickens since you are seeing worms. You can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

After you finish the course of treatment - offer some probiotics and poultry vitamins for a couple of days.

Good luck:)

Just reading this post.... Curious..... Can a human get worms from eating the eggs of this chicken?

I give a little Food-grade diatomaceous earth in the chickens feed every few months as I was told it's good to help prevent that. I make a pot of rice as just before it totally cools down I mix in the DE. Chickens don't even think twice lol. I think worms come from the eggs found in other animals excrement btw so have a look out for any dodgy-droppings in the area. Good luck!

Just reading this post.... Curious..... Can a human get worms from eating the eggs of this chicken?
It's highly unlikely - Worms are contracted via eggs found in other poo. I guess any animal that eats/sniffs/touches the contaminated poo is at risk of ingesting the eggs but the egg from the chicken and,while sometimes coated in a little poo, is generally cracked open and then cooked/consumed so it should be protected. Always wash hands when dealing with food :)

I give a little Food-grade diatomaceous earth in the chickens feed every few months as I was told it's good to help prevent that. I make a pot of rice as just before it totally cools down I mix in the DE. Chickens don't even think twice lol. I think worms come from the eggs found in other animals excrement btw so have a look out for any dodgy-droppings in the area. Good luck!
DE does NOT act as a dewormer. Never has, never will. It's not a preventative either. Once wet, it is ineffective and I'm pretty sure if a chicken eats it, it's getting wet. Valbazen is an excellent dewormer as is Safeguard. Both are easy to get. Don't ever rely on ACV, garlic, DE or pumpkin seeds to deworm your flock. Deworming requires an actual anthelmintic.

It's highly unlikely - Worms are contracted via eggs found in other poo. I guess any animal that eats/sniffs/touches the contaminated poo is at risk of ingesting the eggs but the egg from the chicken and,while sometimes coated in a little poo, is generally cracked open and then cooked/consumed so it should be protected. Always wash hands when dealing with food :)
Good to know! I just know when a dog has puppies the worms are in an encysted stage in the dam and is passed on to the puppy and is why a puppy needs wormed. I was wondering if it was possible w a chicken and it's eggs.
I'm glad to hear this because I eat my free range chicken eggs and I wouldn't know how to worm them if they had them as they roam my whole property.

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth is what we use occasionally to ward off worms. Its a natural product. It is a good idea to deworm at least once every 3-4 months. I just cook up a bowl of rice, let it cool a bit, and add a generous scoop of DE. It sticks nicely to the rice and the chickens dont even realise they getting meds, they just see cooked meal and think 'lets go!' :lol:

DE does NOT act as a dewormer. Never has, never will. It's not a preventative either. Once wet, it is ineffective and I'm pretty sure if a chicken eats it, it's getting wet. Valbazen is an excellent dewormer as is Safeguard. Both are easy to get. Don't ever rely on ACV, garlic, DE or pumpkin seeds to deworm your flock. Deworming requires an actual anthelmintic.
Ok but I didn't make this stuff up https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/90/7/1416/1543647

Back
Top Bottom