Chicken hats for winter?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I think that touching the combs of chickens is gross. It just creeps me out. I don't mind the feet, or the feathery neck, or anything... I'll touch a beak or check a vent (won't touch that either though), but the comb freaks me out. I am getting some delaware eggs to hatch, and wanted to know what y'all thought about hats for winter. I don't have many single comb birds, and the ones i do have are new, and haven't been through a -17 degree winter yet... would a hat work as well as *ugh* rubbing vaseline on a comb?

You'd never be able to keep it attached to the chicken.

Wear vinyl gloves when applying vaseline.

You could have the combs removed. If they are going to get frost bitten it's probably more humane for them anyway. Much less painful & you don't have to rub oil on their heads!

so y'all are thinking 'NO' on the idea of little knitted chicken hats? Even if I made them ski-hat-style, with the under the chin/beak ties? If all else fails, I'll wear gloves, but I just don't feel good about grabbing the vaseline, putting on rubber gloves and heading out to the barnyard...

If you can make little chicken hats work for you, be sure to take LOTS of pictures, because it'd be hilarious.
tongue.png
I try to think of the combs and wattles as earlobe material...doesn't seem gross that way. Also, wrap as much of your run as you can in tarps this winter to block wind...that might help deter frostbite too...

Yep. We are definitely going to want little chicken hat pictures!

Hey, you might want to work on it and design one! I mean, there are hen aprons and chicken diapers - why not little chicken hats?
smile.png
Or maybe a little jacket with a hoodie?

chickensducks&agoose :

so y'all are thinking 'NO' on the idea of little knitted chicken hats? Even if I made them ski-hat-style, with the under the chin/beak ties? If all else fails, I'll wear gloves, but I just don't feel good about grabbing the vaseline, putting on rubber gloves and heading out to the barnyard...

hmmmm . . . . . You're from New England.. the cold part? Or you live there now but you're from somewhere else -- somewhere really warm, below the Mason Dixon line?????
cool.png

I just don't feel good about grabbing the vaseline, putting on rubber gloves and heading out to the barnyard...

lau.gif
gig.gif

Where's your sense of adventure!!!!! LOL!!!
BTW I use bag balm on my Roos
smile.png

I think the chicken hats are an awesome idea. I was thinking the same thing myself this winter when the tips on his comb froze despite the fact he was roosting directly underneath the heat lamp. I tried using doll hats, but it doesn't tie well under his wattles...
If you find something I definately want to see it!!!!​

It's not hats you want to be knitting, too hard to keep on.
You need to be knitting .... BALACLAVAS .... with big long necks so they don't come off.

To avoid making them look like terrorists you might want to put a pom-pom on top or do a charlie brown zig-zag round them !!

If only I knew what button made photoshop work

56922_balaclava-chicken.jpg

Won't work; it's been tried, many a time...do a search! If the roo doens't get it off himself, the others will. Maybe stick with smaller combed breeds if it grosses you out? I dunno....I use Bag Balm, too.

Back
Top Bottom