chicken hawk after our puppy

Zookeeper I'm sorry it must be a heck of a thing to have to deal with all the time. It's bad enough when you just have a hawk or an eagle or any animal that's giving you a hard time but when it's due to people just being irresponsible it's really just outragious. The idea of rehabilitating/fostering a wild animal IMO is so honerable & then to taint it by letting go of the animal in a place where it'll do harm to peoples pets does the kind of animal they've just fostered a disservice..... I just don't understand stuff like that. And the idea of letting dogs run wild (never mind the damage they can cause) but anything can happen to them.

I swear this is why I perfer animals to people they may compete a bit for attention but there's no real ego about them. They don't just tell you what you want to hear & then do as they please etc. It's just what they are is what you get & they're genuine with you.

You may not legally be able to perform the three S method on the hawk, but by golly you can perform the three S method on those dogs.
I stopped asking negligent dog owners years ago to keep their dogs off my property and away from my livestock. They get one warning and that is it!!!!!! Then I shoot, shovel and SHUT UP!!!!

I know some board members will disagree but I lost over 100 hens several years back to two coon hounds after three or four attempts of asking the owner to keep is dogs at home.

As you can tell I have no patience for such irresponsibility. Yes, I know it's not the dogs fault but it is not my livestocks fault either.

Last edited:
If the birds of prey are bothering your livestock i have been told you may be able to get a permit to shoot them although i dont think you can get a permit for the bald eagle .

But the hawks i think you can .

Scooter... We lost 3 pet chickens and 2 boar goats to a pit bull. We warned EVERYONE that we will shoot if on the premise

City folks can learn how to shoot firearms too. There are gun shops and ranges, and most offer classes for beginning shooters. They can also instruct you on a good choice for your first firearm, too. You can usually rent different firearms to get a feel for what works best for you.

That said, it is very illegal to kill a bird of prey, which has already been mentioned. Plus, it won't be long until another bird just takes up the empty niche and you'll have to deal with the same problem all over again. Just keep a close eye on your dog, and you have nothing to fear from the chicken hawk.

There was a story on the news about a very lucky pup a few days ago:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...es-owl-attack-in-Crystal-Lake--113882069.html

Personally back about three or four years ago I was upstairs and heard a loud bang. I ran downstairs trying to figure out what happened. My Pom was lying on the back of the couch in front of the picture window. I rushed passed him and found nothing amiss. When I went back to where he was, right above the dog was the perfect imprint on the glass of outstretched wings body and claw. Outside the window was a dead red tail hawk. It had flown into the front yard chasing a rabbit, saw the dog and tried to get him instead.

Dog - 1 Hawk - 0

smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom