"Chicken-Hawks"

Quote:
Good duck! Then I think they should be fine. Buzzards would only eat something dead already, while hawks prefer live prey. That's why buzzards would be less of a threat. And by frightening them, they are teaching them to be aware of the sky, so they'd be better prepared for a hawk.

BTW, I sit out there with my chickens too. They are not just egg machines to me, they are pets. I care about them, and since they don't talk, I think it pays for me to be closely attuned to their behavior, so I can learn what is normal and what is not. That way I know when they are sick before they suffer, die, or infect the rest of my flock. Watching your birds closely is the best way to keep them healthy (and safe).

Skunks are just interested in eggs, right?? Cause I saw a skunk out back the other day. Raccoons will kill them but only come out at night. Am I on track? Thanks folks! I appreciate the education!

Racoons will also come around dusk. If you see one during the day stay away it will more than likely be sick. Nothing a little lead wont cure. Then the vulture will have a meal:D

Skunks and even rats will kill. You see a skunk, you better get a trap and a rifle. Bait it with cat food into the trap and finish it with the rifle while in the trap. Then haul it off into the woods. For cleanup. 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (any kind). Get a garden sprayer and spray area and trap. Odor will be eliminated on the spot. No lingering stench.

Katharinad you are very brave. Skunks will sleep soundly during the day. So just as long as you don`t pick up the trap and shake it violently your good to haul it away with out having to deal with any smell. On the down side you will have to prop open the trap door and come back after dark to retrieve your trap

Last edited:
Quote:
Lead also kills vultures.
sad.png

Quote:
Hate to run your parade. I will not move the trap until it has swallowed a load of riffle bullets and has been confirmed dead. Then I unload the trap in the woods (walk out behind my property), come back and run the neutralize stench routine. I do not try to shoot a running skunk, because that could injure it and have it die slowly. Plus it is kind of hard doing that at night. No they get trapped with the last nice mean, and then it is over the next day.

There is no such bird, as a chicken hawk. there are a lot of hawk like birds, that will attack other birds (chicken, ducks, etc.) , and animals. It is not true that hawks do not soar, they spend most of their flying time soaring, as they look for game. They get their food by hunting while soaring, and sitting in high points surveying the area below them with their terrific eyes. There are two of the hawklike birds with red on their heads, the turkey vulture which has a red head, and the Crested Caracara (the national bird of mexico), which has a bill which is 1/2 red.

Back
Top Bottom