Newtochickens0624

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2021
I took my Rhode Island Red, Elsa, to the emergency vet for lethargy, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. Turns out she has a bacterial gastrointestinal overgrowth of clostridium most likely causing diarrhea and dehydration. No internal or external parasites. What they were most concerned about, however, was that she had a heart murmur and arrhythmia and felt that heart disease could be causing her symptoms. They wanted to do an xray, full blood panel, and EKG, but I could not afford it. Has anyone else experienced heart defects or disease in their chickens? She seems to be acting normal now that she is hydrated and on second day of antibiotics. Also she has always been extremely small--always a very pronounced keel. She was only 1.6 kg and the average for a rhode island red is around 3 kg. Would be curious to know if anyone has dealt with similar issues.

Did they give antibiotics for the clostridium? A heart ailment might be the cause for her low weight, but clostridium which causes enteritis, may also follow coccidiosis. There wouldn’t be any reason for an expensive heart workup in my opinion, since chickens usually are not treated for heart problems.

I had a severe clostridial infection in one of my flocks. A round of prescribed and administered tetracycline (with 6 weeks of egg withdrawal) took care of it.
I have also had several chickens die from heart attacks, mostly roosters.
How old is the hen?

Did they give antibiotics for the clostridium? A heart ailment might be the cause for her low weight, but clostridium which causes enteritis, may also follow coccidiosis. There wouldn’t be any reason for an expensive heart workup in my opinion, since chickens usually are not treated for heart problems.
Yes we are treating her with antibiotics. They said if the bacterial infection was causing the heart issue then she would be in much worse condition. She showed behavioral improvement after receiving fluids, was alert and happy. Coccidiosis didn't show up in the fecal panel so I'm not sure. Not sure the reason of her low weight, as she is provided with food 24/7, but hopefully she can live happily the way she is for awhile.

I had a severe clostridial infection in one of my flocks. A round of prescribed and administered tetracycline (with 6 weeks of egg withdrawal) took care of it.
I have also had several chickens die from heart attacks, mostly roosters.
How old is the hen?
Really? That is so strange. We are treating with Clavamox. She hasn't laid for several days, but vet didn't say about egg withdrawal. She is only 1 year old.

You should double check with your vet. I'm sure egg withdrawal for that antibiotic is 2 weeks but could be more.
What part is so strange?
I guess it could happen at any age but 1 year seems young for a heart condition.

Back
Top Bottom