Chicken help please!

thepeterspeople

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2021
9463422A-643A-43ED-A771-BB5F2EE88863.jpeg
1ADBA75E-6D86-4BAF-923B-BE532FEFA925.jpeg
I have 9 chickens- 8 hens and a rooster. I got them as pullets about 6 weeks ago and they should start laying any day.

Sunday morning when I let them out of their coop 2 of them, both black stars, wouldn't put weight on one foot. These bum feet didn't seem at all tender to the touch, no signs of scaly mites or any other parasites.

I was worried about mareks because…well because the internet. I separated them from the rest of the flock and have been watching them closely. They're eating and drinking and although they can't use the one foot each they're managing to get around. I've been supplementing with extra vitamins in case of deficiency. So far they're not any better or worse. And the rest of the flock are 100% fine.

I would appreciate ANY input. I'm a new homesteader at the BOTTOM of the learning curve in a new area where I don't know anyone and I'm so worried about the girls. Thanks so much!!!!

💜

Attachments

• 4224EF60-FA96-435B-8B11-74D694086A80.jpeg
    4224EF60-FA96-435B-8B11-74D694086A80.jpeg
    769.1 KB · Views: 3
Sunday morning when I let them out of their coop 2 of them, both black stars, wouldn't put weight on one foot. These bum feet didn't seem at all tender to the touch, no signs of scaly mites or any other parasites.
What's the coop like? How much space....Photos?
Photos of the pullet? Like of the whole bird?
"Rooster" same age a the pullets - like a young cockerel(?) how old are they actually? How rowdy is the cockerel?

What do you feed including treats?

What vitamins are you supplementing? Need a B complete vitamin that contains multiple B vitamins including B1, B2, B6, B12, calcium, and others like D and K are beneficial. But if it os votamin deficiency then B2 Riboflavin is the most important.

If it is Mareks, I think all your chickens will have exposure so why seperate them if they all came together to begin with.

The enclosed part of the coop is about 4X4, there is about 12 feet total of roosting bars. The run is about 10X10. They also go out to the garden (don't know how big that is- very large) pretty regularly. I will take pictures of that tomorrow when I have light. My cockrel is actually about 3 weeks younger then the pullets who are 16 weeks, so he is 13 weeks. He's a blue wyandotte and he's actually pretty calm.
I feed them scratch and peck organic corn free/soy free feed, usually fermented. Also sometimes scratch and peck corn free/soy free pellets. Freeze dried grubs daily. Fruits and greens from the kitchen at least once a week. I put ACV in they’re water daily. I also add dried herbs to their feed.
2FA063CF-52F5-4862-B7BD-A1C96D55926B.jpeg
EEAB591A-51FA-49D6-A9C4-D0B6CBB2FD32.jpeg

What vitamins are you supplementing? Need a B complete vitamin that contains multiple B vitamins including B1, B2, B6, B12, calcium, and others like D and K are beneficial. But if it os votamin deficiency then B2 Riboflavin is the most important.

If it is Mareks, I think all your chickens will have exposure so why seperate them if they all came together to begin with.
I’m supplementing with a B complex and a multivitamin right now. I don’t think it’s mareks anymore. Originally I feared that but I think that was just inexperience. They aren’t getting worse at all. Now I’m just worried about the others picking on them if I put them back in? I honestly don’t know, I’m very new at this.

The enclosed part of the coop is about 4X4, there is about 12 feet total of roosting bars. The run is about 10X10. They also go out to the garden (don't know how big that is- very large) pretty regularly. I will take pictures of that tomorrow when I have light. My cockrel is actually about 3 weeks younger then the pullets who are 16 weeks, so he is 13 weeks. He's a blue wyandotte and he's actually pretty calm.
I feed them scratch and peck organic corn free/soy free feed, usually fermented. Also sometimes scratch and peck corn free/soy free pellets. Freeze dried grubs daily. Fruits and greens from the kitchen at least once a week. I put ACV in they’re water daily. I also add dried herbs to their feed. View attachment 2895853View attachment 2895854

It sounds like a complex diet, fermented feed and acv daily is a lot of acidic content. I feed corn and soy based feeds entirely with their eating grass and bugs. I do not have oat based feeds available, but I can't imagine not giving corn. So the diet is way different then I am used to, but make sure they get the calcium and vitamins they need too.

How long have they been on layer feed?

I would keep them on an 18-20% starter or all flock feed until they all come into lay.

Keep up with the B-Complex, 1/4 tablet each pullet daily.

I'm thinking injury since you have 2 with similar symptoms, unless they have some type of genetic issue. Possible it's Marek's disease, it's something to consider.

Do you notice the birds eat all the feed? Pellet form is better than the loose type feed unless it's soaked or fermented. Many folks seem to have issues when their birds have loose type feed since they are not eating the powdery vitamin/supplement that's in the bag and they tend to pick out things they like the most.

Expensive feed too. You may want to take a look at the feeding your flock section to see if there's something that may be more budget friendly if you are just now starting out. Even the commercial feed I use has gone up a couple of dollars a bag. Doesn't sound like much but that's 10% increase in just a couple of months. Just sayin'

How long have they been on layer feed?

I would keep them on an 18-20% starter or all flock feed until they all come into lay.

Keep up with the B-Complex, 1/4 tablet each pullet daily.

I'm thinking injury since you have 2 with similar symptoms, unless they have some type of genetic issue. Possible it's Marek's disease, it's something to consider.

Do you notice the birds eat all the feed? Pellet form is better than the loose type feed unless it's soaked or fermented. Many folks seem to have issues when their birds have loose type feed since they are not eating the powdery vitamin/supplement that's in the bag and they tend to pick out things they like the most.

Expensive feed too. You may want to take a look at the feeding your flock section to see if there's something that may be more budget friendly if you are just now starting out. Even the commercial feed I use has gone up a couple of dollars a bag. Doesn't sound like much but that's 10% increase in just a couple of months. Just sayin'
I’ve had them on layer feed about 2 weeks, I will switch them back for now. I do soak their feed most of the time.
I am leaning towards injury at this point as well.
Thanks I will take a look at that section! I appreciate the input.

It sounds like a complex diet, fermented feed and acv daily is a lot of acidic content. I feed corn and soy based feeds entirely with their eating grass and bugs. I do not have oat based feeds available, but I can't imagine not giving corn. So the diet is way different then I am used to, but make sure they get the calcium and vitamins they need too.
Thank you for the input! I appreciate it. I do the corn free because my son has corn allergies and we have found that when he eats food that eats corn he reacts. That’s part of why we want to raise our own food, so we know what they eat.
i do give them grit and oyster shells for calcium.

Any green discoloring on the legs or feet? May be hard to see on their dark legs, but would mean bruising - it usually takes a few days after injury for it to show.

Can you manipulate the legs? Do the toes stretch when the leg is extended and retract when tucked back in?

Is there any feeling in the toes? Do they react to being pinched?

Have you checked the bottom of the feet for bumblefoot? It would appear as a big black lump\scab and can easily cause lameness.

Back
Top Bottom