Chicken herding corgi and "Lance" the OEGB is a bad a$$!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by vetgirl00us, May 12, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    When I can't get my birds up to their pen in the evening I use my welsh corgi to help me herd the chicken (usually a lone one) back to the roost. Today, it was my crele OEGB roo, Lance, that needed a little chasing. He is tame but just was NOT going to have it this evening. He thought it was his way or no way. My roosters are usually just sweet and calm, they don't fight and they have never attacked me or any of my animals. I tried luring him with bread but he knew what I was up to and wouldn't come close so I called my dog, Kirby, to help me chase him back to the pen. I went one way, she went the other and after Lance she went. Well, to my surprise, Lance flared out his hackles and attacked the dog and chased her!!!! LMAO!!!! It was sooo funny. She wasn't really afraid of him but just ran circles around him taunting him while he kept running at her!!!! What nerve that little roo has!!!! I have video and will try to upload it if I can.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I bet that was something to see.

Careful with the two of them now, would hate for the roo to spur your corgi in the eyes or for the corgi to snap at the roo in defense and accidentally kill the roo.

3. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    I have a half-corgi half-pug dog named Thackery, who has only actually herded the flock once or twice. Mostly he just tries to eat their chicken feed and scratch. lol.
    Here's a pic of him and the flock eating scratch:
    [​IMG]
    And sitting on the porch with Alice!:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by