1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken hug (goodbye)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Jul 11, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I sold my lovely roo, Angel. We just have too many boys and not enough girls to play with. So when I found a good home for my lovely boy I said O.K. I bought him last year to get a chick fix, too long without babies, I got broody and bought two chicks from a neighbor. When he got his wing feathers they were all white, so he became Angel.
    At night when I put the house chickens in bed I'd pick him up and hold him close and he'd sort-of wrap his head over my shoulder, snug against my neck, the "Angel hug" I called it. But then he moved outside and no more bedtime cuddles. Until this evening, when the time came for him to go. I held him one last time and he hugged me! A nice big one too. Oh, I'm going to miss him!

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oh, this is sad. I hope you can visit him so he knows you still care. If you can at the very start see him in his new environment I promise it will help him adjust. A strange new setting but with a trusted face - it will help him. And periodically therefater, at least for a little while....
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by