Chicken in the nesting box each day but not laying any eggs. Should I be concerned?

andy3142

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
I have a female chicken (not a broody) that has been acting like she is going to lay an egg for the last 2 weeks. She will go in to there hen house and sit on the nest for a couple of hours (no eggs are in the nest) and when she finally gets up and leaves I go out to get the egg, but there has been no eggs in there for the past two weeks. FYI (We have a camera in the chicken coop so that is how we know that she has not been laying!) Basically my question is should I be concerned? Also she is eating fine drinking and nothing seems to be wrong with her.

No she has not been laying eggs for the last 2 weeks. She acts like she wants to lay an egg but no eggs have been layed.

You could give her a warm soak.Check for a stuck egg.Look for yoke coming out of the vent area..If you are up to it you could bring her inside and cage her for a while to be sure she is laying.Any hen I brought inside would lay within a day.My hawk injured hen just laid an egg.

Hopefully it is nothing.My RSL stopped laying after just 1 year,so be prepared for that in some.

Back
Top Bottom