Chicken in the pond!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carole AM, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I let my birds out to free range in the yard when I heard wings flapping and a bunch of noise. I ran outside, and there was a young NN roo in the small pond we have. I went & grabbed it and pulled it out.

No its wheezing and doesn't look real good. It probably got water in its beak/ mouth and maybe lungs. I have it in the house wrapped up in a towel to help dry it off. I hope he'll be okay...

Just thought I would share since its spring and alot of us will be getting our ponds back in working order. I'll need to fence this off.

2. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    or put something in there that birds can get onto if they slip in. I hope he is ok, is it one of the new ones? he's not used to the place yet-perhaps.
    I keep some bricks in the bottom of the ducks wading pool, just in case. But your pond is probably deeper than that.

Hey your new duckie will love that pond...

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk went for a dip when the MinPin behind us chased her. She went from the back of the house over the fence and into the pool...she must've just skated over the top because she was totally soaked.
    If he's wheezing, he might have gotten water in his lungs...I would just keep him warm and keep an eye on him.

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    He's still a little weeezy, but seems ok. I had him in my lap to dry him off, and they he sat in the sun outdoors. I think I'll name him Posidon!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Great name! I'm glad he's ok.

6. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I love the name. Hope he has learned not to do that again and to leave the swimming for the ducks.

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by