Chicken in Trouble

MikeR

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Candia, NH
Hello. I have a Red Frizzle (Frizzie) who is in tough shape. She is about 9 months old. First the other chickens started picking on her and about half her wing feathers are gone. Then she started limping real bad. Then she stopped roosting and slept in the shavings on the coop floor. Then she stopped laying. I put her in a dog crate to keep the other hens at bay and so she wouldn't move much because of her leg. Today I noticed no poop in the cage. Her bottom was compacted with poop and it is very swollen. I sprayed out the poop and she is now in the sink in warm water - hoping she poops or a compacted egg comes out.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? I can't tell if she is in pain, but she doesn't really move around much anymore and sqauked and struggled when I was cleaning her. I don't want to let her suffer.

Thank You

First off , right now, make sure she eats, and drinks. Offer her alot of tasty things, like oatmeal, bread, anything to get her eating. And drinking. The wing feathers will grow back. The leg will hopefully heal. The poopy bottom can be caused by pooping and sitting in the same place. I cut the poopy ones off. I don't know what else after that.

Thank you for some hope. She is still eating and drinking a little. I'll keep her in the crate until she can roost again, and clean her bottom up every few days. How come this stuff always happens to your favorites ones ?

Back
Top Bottom